Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Question: What size front blade and rear notch?

condoor

I'm looking at replacing the stock sights on my G34 with something else. I have Ameriglo Operator sights on my carry gun and have been pleased with them and I'm thining of going with some of their plain black sights for this gun, but I'm confused as to what size would be better.

They offer one model , the Target, with a .090 front sight and a .150" rear notch,

or the other model, the Combat, has a .115" front sight and a .200 rear notch.

Pros and cons of each would be great. I'll also consider other models, but I have a 25% off coupon code for Ameriglo which will be hard to beat.

I have a G17 with Ameriglo Target Adjustables on it and they have a VERY nice sight picture. The front blade is a .090" but the rear is a .115" or so notch. .150 will be a bit too wide for my tastes.

The narrow front sight blade and the wide rear notch help older eyes (younger eyes that aren't so sharp) get a quicker and sharper sight picture.

With my glasses on I can see the target, but the front sight is blurry. Without my glasses, the target is a blur and I can see my front sights. The narrow front sight in conjunction with the wider rear notch helps me have a clearer sight picture and still see the target.

The .090 and .150 is what I like, but have never tried the .200.

Buddy

I am very curious to what others have to say about this.

I have the Ameriglo Fixed Target sights on my Glock 17. I fell in love with the sight picture the moment I handled a G17 with them on it. I ditched my Dawson Adjustables and ordered the Ameriglos.

Sight picture is very very nice, but sometimes I wonder if it doesn't have too much light around the front sight. Keep in mind that you will have them on a G34, making the front sight even smaller.

Front sight is .090"

Rear notch is .150"

For the record, the Sevigny/Warren sights have a .115 front and a .150 notch.

Edited by spook

Front and rear sight width are one of those Ford/Chevy things.

Everyone's eyes are different, and what may work perfectly for me might not work so well for you.

The best advice I can give you is to play with your friend's pistols before/after a match and see what suits you best.

Generally speaking, a narrower front sight with or without fiber and a wider rear sight - Plaxco said it well in his book - a rear sight that allows you to see 1/2 the width of of the front sight in space on either side in the notch as you take a sight picture; but again, everyone's eyes are different, so experiment to see what you like best.