Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running out of Ammo

Albertl35

OK, for my 1st official USPSA match and in the 1st stage. I was shooting production with 10 rounds in the mags and only had 3 mag pouches. I stuck the 4th mag into my pocket but in the excitement, when told to load and make ready - I loaded from the map pouch. The stage needed 4 mags to complete. When I got to the last set of targets, I dropped the mag and reached back to get another, Ooops no mags left. Aaaargh!

Forgot that the other mag was in my pant pocket. Ended up dead last but learned a valuable lesson...;-)

BTDT.... next time I had an extra magazine. And then another and another... now it's 10+1 most days for the long gun! I guess the limit directly relates to the physical fitness level..

Like shooting single stack..... it just favors those of us with a little extra girth! Plenty of room for mags.

• 1 month later...
Forgot that the other mag was in my pant pocket. Ended up dead last but learned a valuable lesson...;-)

A month or so ago...

I changed mag carriers at my last match but did practice with them until I thought I was comfortable and they were set up how I liked them.

I started with 4 magazines in the belt, and one in the pistol. It was a 24 round stage, and I ended up having to resort to my last magazine after 2 different ones had feed malfunctions. I came up on the last array....5 yards way were 2 nice fat unobstructed paper targets...I reached and grabbed air.. oh....not good. I thought I had gone through all of my magazines, so stopped the COF. The teklok had fallen off of the new magazine carrier and the entire pouch slipped around the belt just enough to place the last magazine directly under my gut. The RO informed me after I stopped and advised me that I still had a magazine left. :blush: Damned noob errors still. gack.

Running out of ammo sucks.

Step one, when finished shooting a stage, recover all discarded magazines, remove all magazines from belt, empty all magazines, clean as required, reload all magazines to your favorite pre-load. (L10 with a wide body and hi-caps, load em up, others may vary. Limited load maybe 5 short) when going to on-deck, load all mags full.

NEVER, repeat NEVER EVER leave a partial mag on your belt.

I know this. I learned this lesson well. In Barry at 100 plus degrees. Partially brain dead in the heat. I watched as three sliders went away while I ran through multiple mags to get to some that had ammo. Empty mags go inthe bag or on the cart, but NEVER on the belt!

NEVER put partials back, ALWAYS reload. You got 4 mag carriers? fill them and use #5 as your first mag. The day WILL come when you are looking for that last mag al the way around your back. One will not feed, one will have fallen out, you will have brain farted and reloaded early and that last mag will be the difference between reaching the end of the COF and stopping a bit early.

Jim