Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

broke my hammer pivot pin

rodney brown

Hello all

Just got back from shooting a match. I had some moon clips with 3 or so live rounds in them. I took out the spent brass and loaded the moonclips with new ammo. I then put the moon clips in my gun to try them. I always do this before a match and was just trying to be prepared for the next match.

I pull my hammer back slightly and spin the cylinder, to make sure the moon clips are not bent or I have a high primer. After doing this a couple of times, with different moon clips, the cylinder would not spin.

Long story, the pivot pin on the hammer broke. Anyone have this happen to them? Is there anything I might have done to make this happen? I called my long time revolver shooting friend. He said he never has heard of this happening before. WHY do I have to be first!!!!

I am away tomorrow for 8 days travelling overseas. Look forward to your comments when I return.

Rod Brown

Hello all

Just got back from shooting a match. I had some moon clips with 3 or so live rounds in them. I took out the spent brass and loaded the moonclips with new ammo. I then put the moon clips in my gun to try them. I always do this before a match and was just trying to be prepared for the next match.

I pull my hammer back slightly and spin the cylinder, to make sure the moon clips are not bent or I have a high primer. After doing this a couple of times, with different moon clips, the cylinder would not spin.

Long story, the pivot pin on the hammer broke. Anyone have this happen to them? Is there anything I might have done to make this happen? I called my long time revolver shooting friend. He said he never has heard of this happening before. WHY do I have to be first!!!!

I am away tomorrow for 8 days travelling overseas. Look forward to your comments when I return.

Rod Brown

the Bad news is that it's broke, the good news, You ain't the first. It looks like a trip back to S&W for the repair, at least that's probably the easiest.

I broke a hammer pin on my M29 just a month before the Area 3 in 2004. Broke a Trigger Pin on a M28 years earlier.

There are 2 fixes:

One replaces the Stud with another just like the original, if it's Blued it will have to be Re-blued, if it's SS probably will need buffed to refinish.

Second uses something called a Crown Stud, which has a dimple in the middle and is larger than the usual pin. It won't need refinished.

My M28 I had them put in a Crown Stud, the M29 (cause it looks so good) I had the original. Both are fine now.

Causes? Excessively running the Action with the side plate off and MS tension on. Not taking the tension off of the MS before removing the side plate or putting too much on it before reinstalling the side plate. Bumping the pins, trying to force a tight side plate down, etc...

I think mine were both caused by me messing with the action with the side plate off. I've been much more careful with my 625 and it'll probably break next year just before a big match.

JM told me at the Area 3 in '04 that he had one break on the first cylinder full a buddy test fired in one of his Revo's, just after commenting he'd never had one break! So maybe use can do it?

Hello all

Rod Brown

HI

I am in Ireland, but have been able to read everyone's comments, so far. I did break the pivot pin on the trigger a while ago, because I had the side plate off. I accept that as my stupidity.

The hammer pivot pin, I can no figure out. The side plate was on and I was just checking moon clips. Guess I will chalk it up to manure happens and be happy it did not happen during a match.

I will send the gun to a S&W smith as soon as we get home. Thanks to all.

Rod

The pins I've had broken all broke with the side plate on. But I believe all of them were previously damaged with the side plate off. My guess would be that it cracked about the same time as the Trigger Pin and once it cracks it's only a matter of time before it breaks.