Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it me, the scale, or the machine?

FootSoldier

I've had my 650 Dillon set up for only a couple weeks. I have run about 1500 rds of .45acp through it and have been enjoying the heck out of it. Now, I am trying a different load, Oregon Trail LSWC 200 gr, VihtaVouri N320 4.7grs, 1.240 OAL. These are intended to be training rounds for my S70 Govt Colt.

My problem is, that when changing the powder throw setting I got so many varying weights I am wondering what is the acceptable tolerance? I am using a Redding balance beam scale. I zero it each time I get ready to measure a new charge. After making any change to the powder bar adjustment, I throw 3-4 cycles of powder and return them to the powder hopper. Then I measure 3 successive powder charges.

When I started tonight, I followed my regular routine and got 3 dead nuts on 4.7 grs., but then I weighed 1 more. It was .2 gr heavier. So, I zeroed the scale and threw 3 more without measuring them back into the hopper. Then again, I cycled 3 separate charges weighing each one. They each varied by .1 gr. So now, I ran 25 consecutive charges, weighing each one. They ran 4.6-4.8 grs, +/- .2 grs? Is that normal, OK, a minor concern, no concern?

Sorry if this is just another annoying newb question.

BTW, what about electronic scales? Is there any advantage to them and are they worth the difference in $$?

Thanks

I've had my 650 Dillon set up for only a couple weeks. I have run about 1500 rds of .45acp through it and have been enjoying the heck out of it. Now, I am trying a different load, Oregon Trail LSWC 200 gr, VihtaVouri N320 4.7grs, 1.240 OAL. These are intended to be training rounds for my S70 Govt Colt.

My problem is, that when changing the powder throw setting I got so many varying weights I am wondering what is the acceptable tolerance? I am using a Redding balance beam scale. I zero it each time I get ready to measure a new charge. After making any change to the powder bar adjustment, I throw 3-4 cycles of powder and return them to the powder hopper. Then I measure 3 successive powder charges.

When I started tonight, I followed my regular routine and got 3 dead nuts on 4.7 grs., but then I weighed 1 more. It was .2 gr heavier. So, I zeroed the scale and threw 3 more without measuring them back into the hopper. Then again, I cycled 3 separate charges weighing each one. They each varied by .1 gr. So now, I ran 25 consecutive charges, weighing each one. They ran 4.6-4.8 grs, +/- .2 grs? Is that normal, OK, a minor concern, no concern?

BTW, what about electronic scales? Is there any advantage to them and are they worth the difference in $$?

Thanks

I use a 550 and mine are spot on every drop. I might see .05 or so but that's about it.

I have been calibrating for the USAF for over 15 years. When we calibrate balence beam type scales the best accuracy you typically see is + or - 1 div on the minor beam.

On more the more accuracte scale the way we calibrate them is to take 10 readings and then average the reading.

I would say in your case the scale more than likley will change a little but stay with in the + or 1 div and your powder drop is also changing slightly. So in your example of the 4.6 to 4.8 over 25 readings, I would not be worried about that. This is more than likley with-in the uncertainty of your scale.

have you chronno'd the rounds? I would think you would not get much change in your velosity spread.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

I would make sure that the powder thrower is opening up all the way on each piece of brass. If you have brass that is shorter than the rest it can cause you a smaller powder charge because it was not long enough to completely open the powder thrower. My might have to give the powder thrower a 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn. This will increase the bell but will all ensure the powder thrower is completely open during the charging of the case.

I agree with North and don't get too worried about +/- 0.1 grain. But, also make sure that your powder bar is returning all the way when you lower the ram. Make sure the powder failsafe bar is pulling the powder bar all the way back and not binding. I had mine binding at one time I can could see bigger than 0.1 grain variation because the powder bar was about 1/4 inch away from full return.

Trodrig

With the handle all the way forward, tighten the wingnut on the powder measure failsafe rod until the spring is FULLY compressed then again with the handle still forward back the nut off 1/4-1/2 turn. This setting ensures that there is plenty of tension to be sure that the powder measure slide is fully returned every time. Don't worry about a .1 grain variance in throws. Chrono the loads and let us know what the stats are.....