Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Conversion for Elite Limited?

hhsmiley

Hopefully I'll have a new Elite Limited within about a month. I'm just getting back into IPSC/USPSA after not shooting at all for about 5 years.

Well, I was shocked that a box of .40 ammo that used to cost me $9.00 back then is about $16.00 now!

I need to practice a lot if I'm going to be competitive at all. A .22 conversion would at least allow me some more trigger time even if it doesn't replicate the recoil. Which one will work with the new large frame .40's? Is it the one that fits the 38 Sup / 45 frame? I couldn't really tell, going by EAA's website. Also, they don't show .22 magazines on their site. Are those available?

Any help is again appreciated.

Edited by hhsmiley

EAA only sell large frames any more and so if you order a .22 conversion you'll get one for the large frame. The 38/45 is the old "large frame" clue as these calibers were never available in the small frame. If you want you can order it through me as well. It's not on my site, but just email me or call me at (720) 352 1080. Conversion kits are about to be available on my site.

Have a great weekend (btw I am available on phone through weekends)

Henning, have you had decent luck with the EAA kits? I was less than impressed with the 2 I tried (feeding and extraction issues with both). I've got a 22/45 on the way, but may consider trying another kit if it has a chance of working properly...

• 1 month later...

Has anyone actually tried a 22 conversion on a Match or Limited gun yet? I was told by one EAA dealer that the 22 conversion would not work on either model. It's hard to believe that no one here has tried it, especially with the cost of ammo nowadays.

I'm with hhsmiley, it would be alot cheaper than 40 and you wouldn't have to pickup brass LOL

I tried 2 of the kits on my Match. Your dealer is wrong. The first kit I bought had a nice dent near the crown of the muzzle, so I called EAA, talked to the gunsmith, and said if I tried it out and the accuracy wasn't up to par, could I send it back - his reply was that would be fine. So I tried it, accuracy was ok, but it didn't function very well, so I sent it back and got a replacement - same functioning and accuracy. Lots of light strikes, and lots of failure to extract/ejects... So, in my experience, they work, but they definitely need some tuning. Rimfire conversions on any weapon can, and likely will be finicky.

• 1 month later...

Cliff,

Thanks for the hook-up!

I found out last night that with a lighter hammer spring it won't ignite CCI Mini-Mag (I think that's the ammo I tried). So I'll throw it on my un-messed with Elite Match and see what happens next trip out to the range.

~Mitch