Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Keeps jumping out of my hand

Interesting, I read the article and tried out a variety of combinations. I could FEEL a big difference and now I NEED to get to the range immediately. I spent the greater part of the night dry firing these techniques. I wonder though, it seems as though Brian Enos doesn't rest his thumb on the safety (or ride the safety). Instead he places his thumb on the supporting hand. Which makes more sense. I read that by putting your thumb on the safety it helps you get a higher grip. I'm a bit confused about that.

Also the article mentioned how Brian chooses to get a high grip on the pistol (under the trigger guard) with his support hand. I have small hands yet unusually long fingers. An example is that when I grip an 1911 or XD pistol my middle finger usually reaches around enough to almost reach the grip safety. So when I do a two-handed grip, my palm can't really connect to the other palm because my fingers on my strong hand are almost wrapping around the entire grip. Any ways, I don't know, maybe that's normal I've been told I have unusually long fingers...

I find it difficult to get up high underneath the trigger guard as it seems that my fingers just "bunch up together" in no real pattern. I'm not exactly getting a warm and fuzzy of that, I suppose I have to try that out on the range.

Everyone thanks again for your suggestions; the information here is spectacular.

Edited by ShoreLeaveOIC

So I've always been taught to "grip the living daylights out of it"

That's how I do it and that's how I teach it.

I apply what could be described as 'equal' pressure with both hands. I squeeze the 'life' out of the gun and use a good solid stance (bent knees), with both arms locked out. Oh and a bit of skate tape where my left thumb pushes against the frame.

Mick B

Edited by M-TRAIN

UPDATE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I just came back from the range, and incorporating what Konkapot and Love2Shoot have suggested. Wow, what a difference. After reading the article that Love2Shoot suggested, I decided to use a 50/50 grip pressure as opposed to a 40/60. I started with my 1911 at 7 yards all the bullets just went straight into one hole. It was "scary accurate" though not as accurate as a CZ in my hands. I then used a shoot-n-see target at 15 yards. I peppered the target pretty good with only one shot going off the shoot-n-see target and into the 9 ring. Not bad I thought.

I then transitioned to my XD .40S&W tactical. The recoil was a moot point with the .40S&W but as my hands began to sweat it was harder and harder to maintain a grip. I would wipe my hands on my jeans between firing but this didn't really help much. Assuming my hands were dry and could grip the target, I kept them all in the ten ring.

Like an idiot I practiced my one-handed firing AFTER going through my two handed drills, so my hand was getting a bit tired from recoil. The results were the same but I couldn't help but feel that my hands were slipping on the grips.

As I prepared to leave a older gentlemen that was well-dressed (who I assume is in law enforcement) came in to practice. He had a hammerless .38spl snub nosed revolver and a what appeared to be a Kimber Ultra Carry. I originally thought it was a Springfield EMP. Well I asked him about it and he let me fire it.

HELLS YEA :cheers:

Well I loaded up 5 rounds and proceeded to test this bad boy at the 7 yard line. It was scary accurate, more accurate than any of my CZ. I had thought that due to its 3" barrel (or shorter, I didn't bring a ruler) that it would be jumping all over the place as it was a .45ACP). Well apparently not, and honestly it felt like a 9mm or a 22LR. I was DUMBFOUNDED. Any ways on the ride home it appeared to me why I had shot my CZ-75 compact and Kimber Ultra Carry (a gun I didn't even own) so well. It was the grip. I shoot okay but after a few rounds I can feel the gun start to slip against my "hand sweat". The grip on the CZ is a rubber grip that seems a bit "sticky" and the Kimber had a checkered grip. On contrast my 1911 has a smooth wooden grip. Its a SiGArms Revolution TTT. and my XD pistol is "smooth" in that its polymer. I think the grip tape will help immensely when it arrives. As of my SiGArms Revolution, I may want to get some grips that look nice but are also more functional. My "hand sweat" problem is interfering with my shooting I think.

Neverthelss I want to thank everyone who responded. You all have really helped my self-diagnosis and now it feels like I'm firing a light saber. It was if I just "willed" all my shots today. Thanks a lot guys! I forgot my digital camera, sorry for lack of pics.

P.S.

He also let me fire his .38 SPL snub nosed hammerless revolver. That gun left me wondering what the purpose of such a firearm is or its target audience. I mean, if I can't practice with it, or won't because it hurts me hands, then why carry it around? Its more a liability. Its a deadly weapon that I'm familiar with because I avoid shooting it because its nearly impossible to shoot and hurts my hand. I suppose that gun is designed as last-resort self defense measure but I would rather stick with my trusty tanto at that range.

Good stuff. Keep us posted.

You touched on an awesome point....not often addressed in the Law Enf/Casual shooter community....

"If I can't practice with it...........why carry it around?"

Why indeed.

The last department I taught at required all officers to QUALIFY with their backup gun, which in many cases was a PPK/snub revolver. It was a very basic, very "can you make this gun even go off and hit anything" course of fire. Most guns that seem unshootable............are. And so they don't get shot.

FY42385

For the hand sweat issue (I have it too) get some Pro Grip. It is a gel or liquid, depending on what type you get. It doesn't feel tacky or sticky it just keeps your hands dry and gives them more friction on each other and the gun. I put a little in the palm of the weak hand and then rub it around with the outside of my strong hand fingers. This gets it where my weak hand and strong hand will meet and helps my grip tremendously.

Chris

I own a couple of XD'S and I think that the 45 acually has a "precieved recoil" much

less then the 40 (not as snappy). You need to get as high as poss on the gun. A good

index point for me is to have the left thumb on the diss. lever and the right thumb on

the slide release although, if you squeez too hard with your right hand in this position

you may prevent the slide from locking back(big button) if you need it to.

I use truegrip and its great but I dont think that alone will fix the problem. Another thing

is just put a lot of rounds through it and feel it out!!

Thanks again to everyone in this thread. I recieved my package today from TruGrip, applied it immediately, and rushed to the range to test how it worked. It made a great difference. You can read my entire review of TruGrip here, complete with a range report, photos, and how I applied the product. Thanks again everybody :cheers:

http://nazisonshoreleave.independentengineering.us/?p=163