Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ'd first big match

Slowhand

After a couple of weeks debating the notion of posting my sad tale I decided

that maybe it would help exorcise my demons.

After shooting a few club level matches I got really fired up and decided to

shoot the NC Sectional. A friend that I shoot with agreed to enter the Sectional

match as well. We were both vibrating by the time we arrived the day before

and spent some time checking things out. We were able to get comfortable

with new surroundings and view a few of the stages as they were being shot.

One particular stage that we reviewed on paper, (4), appeared to have a very high

potential for breaking the 180. Close targets on the right and targets at varying

distances to the left. The shooting box extended in a straight line at 90 degress

to the targets for what seemed like forever. We started on stage eight and took

our turn at the chrono after stage nine.

The short version is that after I got over my initial jitters I began to feel more and

more confident. Generally I was able to break the stages down and follow through

with my plan. My scores and times were improving as I went and I was having a blast.

When we arrived at stage 4 it was obvious that our asessment regarding the 180

was accurate. We both came up with a plan that would ensure that we did not break the

Here is where the wheels came off bus. When it was my turn to shoot the stage I felt

prepared and very focused on the 180. My plan worked well until the very end. I

hear the RO say "If you....". Immediately or instinctively I realize that to my right

are two close targets I failed to engage. With the sound of the RO's words still in the

air I turn and engage the first target, index on the second and knew as I fired that

things were not good. Next I hear "That's it, you're done".

I have been competing in offshore fishing for the past 15 years and am no stranger

to rules and split second decisions made with regard to the many rules. That said,

I have never experienced a feeling remotely like I was experiencing. As the reality

of being disqualified sunk in I thought I was going to be sick. After all the preparation

and anticipation my match was over. Immediately several shooters that were waiting

to shoot this stage began to try to console me by sharing their experiences of being

disqualified at larger matches including Nationals. While I very much appreciated their

efforts it was quite a while before their efforts were any consolation. The guys in my

squad could not bear to look at me. They looked as sick as I felt.

I decided to stick around and help my squad pasting targets for the remainder of the

match and encourage the other guys on my squad. The match director, (scirocco38s),

was a great help to me in several ways. Thanks again Richard.

Now that a few weeks have passed I am more determined than ever grow in the sport

and compete again as often and soon as possible. I would not trade my experience for anything.

I am once again reminded that I almost always learn far more form my difficult experiences

than from my successes. That said, no matter how philosophical I try to be, the experience

of being DQ'd is what it is. A 100% self inflicted mental error born out a reaction generated

by my zeal to compete.

Hope the venting helps. It's always been described to me as those who have and those that will.

Glad no one was (physically) hurt.

Amen. As wrapped up in myself as I was the issue of everyones safety was

not lost on me.

I know what that feels like.. when i went to my 1st big match we get there get to our 1st stage load up mags see some shooters shoot then its my turn to go up and with only 10 to 12 rounds into the match i was done. so rest of the day i was helping the squad out and became the g/f caddy for that day and the next day. talk about the feeling if kicking your own butt haha but you learn from it i sure did!

Thanks for sharing , you write well. Thats cool that you stayed and helped with the squad, i think its good therapy like, walking off a fall to keep the muscles from knotting up. I talked to one guy recently that never accepted the DQ and he carried it with him for days. Its better that it was a clear cut 180 break, makes it easy to swallow