Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help tweaking my Spartan

AZ38super

Okay all you Spartan owners out there I need your input.

Trying to finish setting up my new STI Spartan (have not even shot it yet but will this weekend). I have read all the posts with Spartan in them so far and no one had this issue.

So far I have the barrel and feedramp polished, trigger job set at a nice crisp 3 lbs.

I have an S&A magwell new on the bench but may still go with the Techwell so I have not taken a file to it yet.

But the problem is the mag release, I tried a Ed Brown extended one peice and the button end does not fit through the frame hole but the spring screw end fits fine.

So then I tried a Greider unit with the two piece design with larger button and screw and neither end fit.

What are you guys putting in your guns and did you have to custom fit them? I just want to be sure before I tweak something that I don't want to and mess things up good.

Edited by AZ38super

Sorry to hear that, I have the Ed Brown in my Spartan and forunatley it fitted like a glove

Okay all you Spartan owners out there I need your input.

Trying to finish setting up my new STI Spartan (have not even shot it yet but will this weekend). I have read all the posts with Spartan in them so far and no one had this issue.

So far I have the barrel and feedramp polished, trigger job set at a nice crisp 3 lbs.

I have an S&A magwell new on the bench but may still go with the Techwell so I have not taken a file to it yet.

But the problem is the mag release, I tried a Ed Brown extended one peice and the button end does not fit through the frame hole but the spring screw end fits fine.

So then I tried a Greider unit with the two piece design with larger button and screw and neither end fit.

What are you guys putting in your guns and did you have to custom fit them? I just want to be sure before I tweak something that I don't want to and mess things up good.

Drop in parts for 1911's arnt. Ocasionally they do but dont bet on it. If a manufacturer made a drop in part to fit every 1911 frame out there they would quickly be acused of making junk as the parts would be sloppy loose in some guns. Quality 1911 parts manufacturers make parts over sized so they can be fit to most any 1911. Alot easier to file or sand a part down than it is to file it up. Those makers will also claim "Minor fitting required"

PS dont forget the Pistol smithing rules

1. Allways fit the cheap part to the expensive part.

2. If you cant put it back the way it was dont expect it to hold it's value.

3. There is no problem that cant be made worse by a Dremmil.