Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GRIP?

el pres

I have had a lot of poss. dumb questions lately but reason being, my wife is

out of town so I loaded up several thousand rounds and have had a chance to

live fire every day, trying something new everyday.

Reexamineing my grip I noticed one deviation from the textbook example,

my weak hand is not extreamly canted forward causing a small gap at the rear between

the palms. I am trying to cant and put them together but this is acually slightly painful

of a position and really locks up my left arm.

Is this position absolutly ness. and what advantage does it serve..

Lately I have learned to see my sights lift, found out I'm a trigger wacker (overpress),

calling shots 60% of the time (ADHD to sight position), and I am working on timing drills.

Sort of a complete overhaul and recheck of my technique. Right now, even with a really

nice trigger release and sight picture at splits of .5 or less my ft sight still drifts slightly to

the left (impact about 1-1.5" left at 15yd.) Would this grip help this condition or should I

work on something else right now???

Thank you for all the responses so far, everything has been right on!!

I have had a lot of poss. dumb questions lately but reason being, my wife is

out of town so I loaded up several thousand rounds and have had a chance to

live fire every day, trying something new everyday.

my weak hand is not extreamly canted forward causing a small gap at the rear between

the palms. I am trying to cant and put them together but this is acually slightly painful

Is this position absolutly ness. and what advantage does it serve..

Lately I have learned to see my sights lift, found out I'm a trigger wacker (overpress),

calling shots 60% of the time (ADHD to sight position), and I am working on timing drills.

Sort of a complete overhaul and recheck of my technique. Right now, even with a really

nice trigger release and sight picture at splits of .5 or less my ft sight still drifts slightly to

the left (impact about 1-1.5" left at 15yd.) Would this grip help this condition or should I

work on something else right now???

Thank you for all the responses so far, everything has been right on!!

Canting the weak hand forward should give you better recoil control plus help the gun return the sights to the notch quicker.

Especially when first using it, it will be very mildly painful, as you are stretching a musckle you likely don't stretch much. If you have some form of RSI, you may experience som significant pain, injuries vary and do odd things.

It is also supposed to lock up the left arm. The arm winds up more or less locked with the muscles under tension. The gun recoils, and tries to take the arm with it. The natural tension brings it back to where it started and didn't want to leave from in the first place. It works well because it's all about the geometry of your physiology rather than conscious control of muscles.

If the only pain it is causing you is the stretching sensation, that should ease up fairly quickly.

I am shooting an Edge. I have been working with the new grip all

week and my forearm is stretching into the new position. The only

thing is now I am pinching the fleshy part of my left thumb when

I drop my safety, just a position thing I need to work out. I have

larger hands and just have to find the right spot consistantly...

• 3 weeks later...

DC, I have large hands too and also have difficulty with canting the left wrist/hand.

I find consistency the most important about the grip. Gripping the gun is something I train extensively, because I never seem to find that perfect grip. There's always something that could be better.

Maybe this is also the key to gripping the gun. Keep learning and practicing different ways.

Have you tried making a custom grip with epoxy? I did that on and it helped tremendously.

• 4 weeks later...

Let me preface this by saying I am a noob, and one of the 'great unwashed' D shooters. However, that means I spend a lot of practice time on my grip. Just in my experience, if I get sloppy with my grip and am shooting left, yes, cant of weak hand, is an issue, but also I have discovered in stretching those weak hand wrist muscles I begin pulling more with weak hand than pushing with strong hand, consequently making myself shoot left. So in my head, push, push push. Pssst, also posting this so if I am off base someone with more knowledge will let me know. That wasn't a threadjack, was it? :rolleyes: