Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win Super X slugs from Wally World: problems in FN SLP

taxlawmax

Just got an FN SLP (mk I), and it's eating everything up pretty well. The only ammo I'm having any problem with is Win Super X slugs from Walmart. I've heard others complain about Walmart ammo, but I've never really had a problem until now. Has this been discussed? Anybody else here have problems?

[edited to correct ammo brand and to specify gun in title]

Edited by taxlawmax

Sorry; Win Super X. I also should have specified my problem in the original post: the gun cycles, but on about half the shells, the tip of the hull gets caught on the edge of the chamber at around 4 o'clock. (The buck I've used -- Win Super X 00 packaged for military use -- has not been a problem at all.) My first thought was that some of the Super X cartridges were bulging just enough to make this a problem, so I posted the question.

I had a 1100 that didn't like them. I put it down to the rim. The rim was a little bit rounded compared to others. I don't think my extractor was getting a good enough grip on it. Of course it was an 1100.

this used to happen in my SX / Gold a lot with S&B slugs, I eventually put it down to how the shell is ballanced with its length and weight distribution and how it possibly was fed differently because of this as the carrier lifts the shell - this diddnt happen to any other type of ammo - just S&B slugs

To remedy it I chamfered all the sharp edges from that part of the chamber mouth and the extractor cut, so it was beveled and allowed the shells to load.

I should have simply changed ammo and saved a wasted evening in the shop ! :rolleyes:

this used to happen in my SX / Gold a lot with S&B slugs, I eventually put it down to how the shell is ballanced with its length and weight distribution and how it possibly was fed differently because of this as the carrier lifts the shell - this diddnt happen to any other type of ammo - just S&B slugs To remedy it I chamfered all the sharp edges from that part of the chamber mouth and the extractor cut, so it was beveled and allowed the shells to load. I should have simply changed ammo and saved a wasted evening in the shop ! :rolleyes:

My Winchester SX2 HATED Winchester shotgun ammo! (how is that for odd). ALso a no-go were the Fiocci low recoil buckshot loads.

OK luck w/ S&B though, and also those German made slugs sold by Wolf (the Germans make good stuff! And I am not just saying that to make the Tuetonic princess happy).

BTW Mike - the tip you gave me on the Speed Feed stock is again, very much appreciated. Regards, C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I also have the SLP. At first everything was perfect. Buck, slugs and turkey (high velocity) loads were all perfect. Then I started using it to shoot some 3 gun. Would NOT cycle anything resembling normal field loads. Short stroking leaving the hull hanging out the ejection port. Light piston, I triple checked. The only field load I can use is the S&B mid brass. Any shell with low brass will not function, not enough power to cycle fully.

Being that it's a magnum, police shotgun I think the ports are too small and/or barrel too short for skeet/field loads. Winchester has a third piston they use in their trap/skeet guns and I thought about trying that. Then I tried the S&B field load with the mid brass base. Works great.

I shot the Win Super X slugs last weekend. About a 2 foot fireball out the barrel!! It functioned fine. Win Super X will not work. I had been using Remington Extra High velocity 6 shot before the S&B.

Is anybody out there reloading for the SLP? I have a new MEC 9000 and would like to load but some have suggested that the savings are minor. Still, it would seem worth it to develop a load that works well with the gun and meets most challenges in 3 Gun shooting. I'd love some advice.

Is anybody out there reloading for the SLP? I have a new MEC 9000 and would like to load but some have suggested that the savings are minor. Still, it would seem worth it to develop a load that works well with the gun and meets most challenges in 3 Gun shooting. I'd love some advice.

I just agreed to sell my MEC (just don't shoot that much 3gun anymore).

My old Clays load did not have the "oomph" (technical term) for the SLP (Win Super X2) but a switch to Universal clays fixed that.

I have had my FN SLP for about a year now. I have found that it will not run the Winchester AA's as reliably as the Rio's. Which I am not complaining about since the Rio's are A LOT cheaper!!!

I just used this shotgun at the FT Benning 3G this past weekend and it ran great. I just need to learn how to reload faster :) and not shear off the bolt handle on walls!!!!!!!!!!!

I normally shoot the 1 1/8 oz 3 Dram 7.5 shot and at times for heavy steel use 1 1/4 oz 3 3/4 Dram #6 shot and those will knock down anything and then some!!!

Edited by NovaShooter