Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is my rear sight so high?

When I got my STI Trojan .40 a few months ago I had to elevate the rear sight quite a bit to hit point of aim at 25yds.  Now that I put a Heine front night sight on it, the same height as factory, I had to crank the rear sight almost all the way up.  Any more and the blade wil clear the base and become unsecure.  The gun appears to be shooting good groups.  Any suggestions?

This is not an issue any other gun I shoot so it's not an obvious shooter error.

(Edited by John Thompson at 11:05 pm on July 15, 2002)

John:  wow, this is a small world.  I got my 9mm Troajan a few years back with the standard black blade front sight.  I noticed I had to raise the rear sight a fair distance (maybe .075" up from bottom? to line up the sights.  I also noticed if I cranked the sight to the bottom, the hammer top would hit it coming forward:  so I though it was good that the correct "set point" gave me clearance there.

I used the same fram and had a complete .40 top end built for it with new sights, slide, barrel.  Again, the sights line up right when the rear sight is up about .075" from bottom snug.  I could file the front blade down, but I figure there's no reason since mine has plenty of adjustment range.

I'm not sure why the new Heinie FR sight is making you need to raise the rear sight more?  If it has a dot which is below the top of the sight, doesn't that mean the gun's nose comes upward to align it with the top of the raer sight?  I would think that would help the situation.

BountyHunter,

Correct, when I place the dot in the rear notch is some of the fornt sight higher than the rear so if anything you'd think I'd have to lower the rear one.  I got to tell you, the height of the front sight is pretty small, .175.

Are you using 115gr projectiles?

If so, try a 124gr proj at a slightly lower velocity. This SHOULD make the pistol shoot higher.

IS the sight a bomar or similar? You could try and get your gunsmith to put a slightly higher blade on the rear sight.

Good Luck.