Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lithium Ion Batteries

I just bought a new digital camera (Canon G9 for those interested), and accessories like extra Lithium Ion Battery packs. Of course the first thing I did was put a full charge on all the batteries so I could play, but then read the directions that came with the spare battery pack and was surprised to read the following two quotes:

In addition, there is the possibility of damage to the battery pack and reduced usage time if batteries are stored for a period of months.

When you plan to store a battery pack aim to use its complete charge first, before disconnecting it. Store the battery pack in an area which is free of moisture, and where the temperature is no higher than 86 F.

While I am not really planning to store batteries for months, now I have fully charged battery packs and apparently, that was a mistake. Can anyone tell me what the proper care and handling is for these battery packs? They are expensive enough that I don't want to burn them out prematurely. Also, is there an easy way to discharge them, or do I simply need to stick them in the camera and start shooting?? I tried the Search function but didn't see anything specifically on this topic... ;)

store them with a 50% charge (or close) in them. major temperature changes will increase/decrease the voltage in the cells which could damage them if they are fully charged or discharged. if lithiums are discharged too far, they will be damaged, but the camera will shutoff before this happens.

personally i wouldn't worry about it too much. i'll charge up all my nikon batteries before i go out and only use 1, then store the others when i get back home.

if you want to discharge them a bit, stick them in the camera and set the flash on full power then give it about 20-30 snaps.

I wouldn't sweat it. Replacement batteries are so cheap on Amazon that tanking a battery just isn't a consideration anymore. The other thing I'll say is that Canon's power management is nothing short of spectacular. It's unlikely that you'll have to charge that battery more than a couple times a year unless you're doing just hellacious amounts of picture taking. (seriously, it's that good)