Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small pistol magnum primers

00bullitt

I'm fixinta(redneck slang down here for about to) fire up the 650 and start cranking out some 9mm. Alot of folks around here are using small pistol magnum primers. They are saying they burn the powder cleaner and have more consistency in velocity. Just curious on the thoughts of using the magnum primers versus WSP and WSR.

Also......anyone got a good production load for the zero 135's? Since 147's seem nonexistent.....I ordered a few thousand of the 135's.

You have to reduce your powder with your loads if you were near the top of the load date with Mag small pistol primers, then work the load back up. There is nothing wrong with using them, you just need to work the load up to what you want. In my experience it is usually about .02 grain less of powder with mag pistol primers, but you have to check your own gun out.

As far as the 135s....I would try reducing your 147 load by around .05grain and start from there......

Good luck,

DougC

I use WSPM primers in everything any more. Lots less velocity spread in minor 9 and 40,

and they work dandy in major 9 also. And I only have to stock one primer for 90%

of my pistol loads. They seem to work fine in my Glocks also, even with a reduced power

striker spring.

Minor 40 with a 180 and VV310 is the only load I really did a lot of chrono work comparing

WSP and WSPM. Just going to WSPM increased velocity about 10 fps. Brought the extreme

spread on a 10 rd string down from 40+ to around 10fps.

Bill

I just finished some chrono work with 9mm major, 40 major and minor loads....all using WSPM. I noticed the SDs were pretty low (6-8) in the 40 when compared to my historical data (14-18) with exactly the same lot using WSP primers. The 9mm major load SDs were also quite low.

<_< But :mellow: I hope to get more info ,But ?? with fast powder with like Hog Universal and mag primers I under stand that a very high Pressure "Spike" happens more than a burn ? I thought that was the reason to stay away from Magnum primers and fast powder ?

In my case, I have used Power Pistol exclusively for the past 5 years with 40 major and minor (180 gr) and now for 9mm major (Glock 24, 147gr).

The only change I noticed was the lower SD. I have heard similar reports of pressure spikes with fast powders.

Edited by matt2ace