Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 Sig or Minor

Phil Dunlop

I'm hoping to get back to the Australian Nationals next year. They have a 10 round mag limit and a ban on anything bigger than 38, so my 40 Standard gun needs a caliber change, (a new gun would be good but I can't afford one)

From Jan 1st 357 Sig can make major in Standard Division.

I don't know anything about major 9s in standard, (limited) configuration and I'm hoping someone that shot the equivelent in years past might share their oppinion.

So the choices are 9mm or 38super minor, (I don't have to take ammo on the plane if shooting a 9) or 357 Sig major?

Thanks

P.D.

Phil,

I don't have any experience loading 357SIG. I know some do it with some success. I also hear that it's kinda tough. If anybody can figure it out, it will be IPSC shooters.

I do know that shooting major rocks! Minor sucks. 5 Charlies at minor is equivilent to one miss. Deltas are like no-penalty mikes.

Also, I have only shoot factory 357SIG loads...and in a Glock. Very snappy. I didn't like it...and I'm not usually too worried about recoil. (Having made GM in Limited with a fairly stock Glock, I am/was used to shooting a light gun a Major.)

Reloads with heavy bullets would be on my wish list if I needed to do it with 357SIG.

Keep us posted...should be interesting.

It's been a while but I used to load .357 Sig to a 178 pf (old rules) with 147's. There were several guys around here who did the same thing with some success. Forming .357 Sig from 40 brass wasn't a good idea but the Sig round worked in .40 mags. Believe in and S_I that Bill and Rob loaded long to help feeding.

I guess that really is the question Flex, wheter it can be tamed enough. Without concidering costs, heavy bullets would be vital, hopefully the Aussies will be casting 160s or so soon.

I really liked the idea of shooting minor 9mm, factory, no worries at the airport etc. but shooting major I tend to shoot between 91 and 94% of the points, minor with the same attitude would take that down to 80%

Hey Phil. Good to hear you might be coming back to Oz to shoot!

Having been forced to shoot minor for the past few years...and now shooting my .38 super standard gun in Major at the moment...you'd be mad NOT to shoot Major...if you can!

I havn't shot .357 sig major loads before, but I can shoot Major loads as fast as I was shooting Minor loads. If you have an 'SVI' like I do...you basically just have to drop a barrel in and acquire sum ten round mags.

As far as loads, keep an eye on the M-Train website, as Stu and I will be posting as much info as we can. We'll be trying to 'stuff' the biggest lump of lead (180gr) we can find, in them!

I've been through this whole Major v Minor thing...like Flex said..."...shooting Major rocks!"

Hope to see you in Melbourne next year!

Mick B

Thanks for the replies and the data Even, curious why you wouldn't use a fast powder like our 40 standard loads?

Can't wait to get back over there Mick, being Melbourne the girlfriend is pressing me to get a platinum card.

I'd love to hear how you guys get on with this, no one shoots the Sig round over here, so I guess barrels and brass will have to come from Aus.

Good luck with the new gun Kai, I have only shot this round in an open gun and I'm not sure I'd be using it by choice in Standard. The Canadians were using it at Cebu, and I was lucky enough to have a few shots on a tightly partitioned indoor range. The noise and blast were impresive!

P.D.