Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA Grant Application

EricW

I am going to submit a 2008 grant application to the NRA for funds to put together a NRA AP program here in NE WA / N. Idaho. Any tips from those who have successfully applied in the past?

Thanks!

Eric

I am going to submit a 2008 grant application to the NRA for funds to put together a NRA AP program here in NE WA / N. Idaho. Any tips from those who have successfully applied in the past?

Thanks!

Eric

Hey Eric,

I just received one from the NRA for some range improvements at our local club. Best thing I can say is to pay attention to the questions and answer them all completely. Focus on the benefit of the grant to the junior and female population. My application was something like 10 pages which was double spaced typed. Answer each question without straying from the intent of the question. When the application asks you to explain your answer, take you time and think out your reply. When you complete it, have someone else read it and comment on it. Then revise it and have them read it again.

Last, be honest with what you can accomplish as well as what you plan to do. The NRA like any other information will know when someone is blowing smoke.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Eric,

Maineshootah pretty much covered it, but I'll add a bit too. The answers don't have to be too extensive, just generalizations as to what you plan to do with the money. We did some extensive excavation putting in Barricade, Mover and Practical/Plate ranges, so we took photos of the area before the work started and described what we had in mind for the area. It was covered in timber and needed to have a lot of dirt moved to create berms between the ranges as well as levelling out some rather steep land. Now we have one of the best AP ranges on the east coast.

We were a little lax in follow-up so haven't taken the time to apply for another one yet, but we got $4,500 on our first request and did a lot more than we'd planned initally.

If you do a subsequent application for more money, take photos of the finished (or partially finished) project(s) from your first request and send them with your later request.

We were really surprised at the amount we got first time around and have just been too lazy to do another one!

Alan~^~