Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LMT Defender

2#trigger

• 1 month later...

Supposed to be very close to "mil-spec" for a m4 carbine, but they had some issues w/ QC. Mostly cosmetic I think. They do have a life time warrenty and seem to have good customer service. Guys that have them LOVE em. And they are cheaper than a Colt 6920 by 200-300 bucks. So but it if you are looking

for a high quality M4-gery.

T

From what I understand the defender isn't a model per se but it describes a series of rifles. All LMT semi-auto rifles fall under the defender label and their full auto versions are called Guardians. A 16 inch defender is nothing more than a semi-auto 16 inch barrel with M4 cuts.

I running a LMT defender. Absolutely love it. It's tight, but not too much so. If you put one together make sure to get the LMT bolt carrier group. They are MPI'd, shot peened, and have a properly staked carrier key. I can't overstate how important that last item is. They're a couple of bucks more than some of the competition, but the quality is outstanding.

--Kevin

Edited by Kevin J

I believe they are Mil-Spec, one of the most desired next to Colt. Fit between the receivers is more on the loose side as intended, overall great carbine. The 2-stage trigger is nice and the SOPMOD stock slides smoothly. Only issue is the purplish finish on some, like the one I got.

lmt.jpg

In addition, I reload using Dillon .223 Rem dies and my reloads will not chamber properly. No issues with factory ammo.

Edited by norbs007

LMT does not sell complete rifles to civilians.

The Lower unit - Defender models are semi auto while the Guardian models are full auto. You can get 2 triggers with the defender model - a single stage and a two stage match. I have both and like the 2 stage better.

The uppers can be had in a traditional M4 or in a MRP (monolithic rail platform) where the rails are part of the upper receiver and you can change out barrels with a single bolt in about 2 minutes. I love mine.

Accuracy with 69 grain Blackhills are under 1in at a 100yds. You can probably get 1/2 MOA. With Fed AE55, it less accurate given the 1:7 twist in the rifling.