Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullet size

kmca

This may be a stupid question, but I've got some 147 gr lead round nose bullets that measure .356 at the bullet "head" and .348 just below the lube channel. I've also got some 125 gr lead round nose that measure .355 at the "head" and .354 just below the lube channel. Is this normal? I've been getting a lot of key holing at minor velocities.

This may be a stupid question, but I've got some 147 gr lead round nose bullets that measure .356 at the bullet "head" and .348 just below the lube channel. I've also got some 125 gr lead round nose that measure .355 at the "head" and .354 just below the lube channel. Is this normal? I've been getting a lot of key holing at minor velocities.

What kind of gun and does it have a stock barrel?

9mm barrels are normally .355 and a lead bullet that's .356 should work okay, but sometimes lead that's .355 will be okay too. Many lead bullets have a bit of taper or a notch at the back to make them easier to seat and that shouldn't cause a problem unless it's a really short bullet with insufficient bearing surface...not likely with 125gr or 147gr 9mm bullets. Some barrels just won't shoot lead well at all and there isn't much you can do about it. Maybe try some sized .357 (38 Super lead bullets are often sized this way). You could also increase the velocity slightly to help stabilize the bullet.

What kind of gun and does it have a stock barrel?

9mm barrels are normally .355 and a lead bullet that's .356 should work okay, but sometimes lead that's .355 will be okay too. Many lead bullets have a bit of taper or a notch at the back to make them easier to seat and that shouldn't cause a problem unless it's a really short bullet with insufficient bearing surface...not likely with 125gr or 147gr 9mm bullets. Some barrels just won't shoot lead well at all and there isn't much you can do about it. Maybe try some sized .357 (38 Super lead bullets are often sized this way). You could also increase the velocity slightly to help stabilize the bullet.

Tried them in a Springfield loaded, a Para Ordnance and an XD. They were loaded to a "powder puff" load. I'll try'em at a higher velocity. I just thought it was unusual to have the front half of the bullet one size and the back half another size.

Thanks.

What powder are you using? I had MAJOR keyholes with lead 147's and Titegroup. I went to Solo 1000 and they are great. I don't know the PF though.

I tried Clays, Red Dot, Unique, Blue Dot, Herco & 231.

Depending on the gun.. You have to remember that the 9mm was designed for 124 gr and later 115 gr bullets and most 9mm barrel are rifled acordingly, 147's are very heavy for caliber, similar to shooting 75 or 80 gr 5.56 bullets, In many cases 147's will not stabalize and loading them slower only makes it worse.. I gave up on em after being unable to get them to work under 130pf in 3 different 9mm's

• 1 year later...