Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11 years since I quit chewing tobacco

vrmn1

I still want one so bad sometimes even after 11 years.

but then you resist the urge...what happens then?

What keeps one to wanting one into dippin' one?

I have them cravings from time to time..will they go away in time? :unsure:

I hope so one day. They do get better. Why I still want one I have no idea it is a sick habit. I am still addicted but I am in control of it now.

Good luck.

I smoke about one pack per week (mostly when I am driving to and from work). I chew about one can every 4-5 days. I stopped smoking for 1 year, and dipping for about 9 months a few years back, but somehow got started again.

I wish I could find the motivation again to stop, I know it's bad for my health, and I know how good I would feel if I was able to stop.

When I quit smoking last time, I did it on my own. For chewing last time I did it with the patch.

This is the one time in my life I envy quitters!

I wish I could find the motivation again to stop, I know it's bad for my health, and I know how good I would feel if I was able to stop.

You have to want it, nothing else will work. I stopped shortly after my son was born, I didn't want to set the bad example.

• 8 months later...

So they say 21 days is when you're actually starting to change your habit.

That's where I'm at. Or will be tomorrow. After a 15 year habit with the Bear, I've given it up for 21 days.

I do have cravings, but I'll be honest and say this hasn't been as bad as I'd thought it would be. First week was probably the hardest and that was just chewing a bunch of gum and jolly ranchers. Still chewing a good amount of gum, and I still have cravings but then I get busy and forget about it.

I'd say it hasn't been fun, but overall I'm glad I'm rid of it. I know I can go on without it and that's been the biggest victory.

21 days isn't exactly there yet so I can't give up or say that I'm home. But it's a pretty good start.

May 20th, 2008 is my quit date. I wanted to document it here, because I anticipate simply forgetting about it.

In terms of technique I was a cold turkey guy. I went through a can every 3 or 4 days. I dipped constantly during waking hours, primarily top lipping it. No patch, or nicotine gum. I bought some sunflower seeds, lots of gum, and some jolly ranchers. Had them before I started and just popped a bazillion of those things the first few days. Then, just fought the cravings as they came and went. Kept busy, and honestly after the first week I just figured that it wasn't worth giving up the progress made. Everytime I think about dipping, which isn't that often anymore, I just have to consider starting over - and why the hell would I want to do that?

For those wanting to quit, expect the absolute worst battle you'll ever have to fight in your life. Choose to battle through it. Hopefully your fight will be like mine, tough but definitly achievable and in fact easier than anticipated!

J

5 years ago today I smoked my last cigarette. First 3 months were the hardest, after that for me it was all downhill. After a year I wasn't even thinking about smoking and now I can stand around at a match with folks smoking and not even blink.

I think the key is to keep trying until it happens for you.

Bruce

I quit Copenhagen 19 years ago. I prayed to God for help and payed attention to the habits associated with dipping. I noticed that as soon as I jumped out of bed I would put a dip in and go jump in the shower. I changed that and started brushing my teeth as soon as I got out of bed. I also noticed that anytime I got in the truck I would put in a dip even if I just got finished with one. That was the hardest habit to break. What's weird is that now I can enjoy a cigar with friends, but I don't have the desire to be a slave to the stuff.