Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone now much about concreat? The object is to build a gun vault in the garage with a vault door protruding in the ajoining bedroom (gun rm) is pre-formed concreat or poured concreat better for fire-proofing?? I've made several phone calls and get the same from all. NO ONE KNOWS!!, I even had one contractor tell me to get a septic tank (New of course) and set it on blocks. What I want is a 8X10 room, a vault door, as fireproof as possable and to withstand a level 4 or 5 tornado (IND). But every contactor I talk to gives me the run around because the job is too small. ANYONE have any ideas?

Thanks for you input

mike G. :cheers:

Do a google on safe room, or storm room, or tornado room. Lots of stuff out there. FEMA

even has a guide for storm room construction. What you are talking about is basically a

tornado room with a door upgrade. You might have a little trouble with code building it

in the garage with the door inside the house. Don't know how that fits with the requirement for

a firewall between an attached garage and the living area. I know---it's a fireproof block

of concrete----but sometimes code gets weird.

My gun-n-toy vault is concrete block construction, re-bar every 6 inches, then poured solid.

Lined with 1 inch of sheetrock for fireproofing, with a 2 hour fire rated Diebold door. But

then we don't have hurricanes/tornados around here.

Bill

good idea pat and rob, the door man told me he could swing it either way, but it did'nt make sence till you guys said something, that's one resone that i like this forrum so much different ideas from different people that have be there and done that. I'm getting ready to contact shelter manufactures now and recontact my contractors, but another set back, my mother-in-law passed the other day, so everything is currently on hold , but for the planning and contacts, keep those ideas coming in, I do like different ideas for different people.

Thanks again

Mike G. :rolleyes: