Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

*I* Brass

ShooterSteve

[so what is it that makes junk brass junk and good brass good ? ]

Ask Mr Wizard

The good stuff has a better grade "mixed into the brass" just like steel or Cookies. The better material goes in the better it is.

The Brass is asked to do allot in our loads. = It has to hold the bullet until pressure builds up and the bullet is pushed out, the brass has to open up to "seal" at the barrel - and thin shrink back to get extracted.

The cheep cheep steel cases do not "shrink" as fast as good brass and will / mite scratch the chamber when extracted.

If the case does not "seal" Gas blows past and around the bullet, and slowly will CUT into the barrel.

The CCI are soft and seal fine and when extracted can not so much scratching.

The Seal is the big thing with good brass. including at the primer the more use the less the brass is "flexible" and even the primer pocket can let gas get back and Cut the breach face .If Or if Or if this or that like a hard primer = CCIprimer + older brass+ light steel load = Cut ring in breach face.

I can take a photo if you want.

So even the 9mm loads can mess with your gun.

But thin again ...I may not know nothing

<_< The steel casses the USSR made in the 40s did not mater, the guy shooting it would only last a few days and the gun would only be used it the guy was as good as dead. :unsure: But that is just a guess

Edited by AlamoShooter

[quote name='LPatterson' date='Oct 4 2007, 08:19 AM' post='626945'

I suffer from OCD so all brass is sorted by head stamp after cleaning, then deprimed on a RCBS RockChucker so if a case deprimes easier or harder than the one before it gets a special look.

Now that's being a sticker, I'm freeking impressed!! :bow:

Sorry, screwed that post up. Was a response to LPatterson........

Boz now is the time to tell you that all brass gets reprimed with a RCBS hand primer before the 550. What the heck it was only about 15,000 this year & I already have that many bullets in stock for next year. I also picked up 10,000 WSP at the gun show at $87.50 M to go along with the 15,000 WLP & 5,000 Fed 150 & 1,000 155. Gonna use the revo for winter time practice when brass hides in the snow.

Sorry, screwed that post up. Was a response to LPatterson........

Boz now is the time to tell you that all brass gets reprimed with a RCBS hand primer before the 550. What the heck it was only about 15,000 this year & I already have that many bullets in stock for next year. I also picked up 10,000 WSP at the gun show at $87.50 M to go along with the 15,000 WLP & 5,000 Fed 150 & 1,000 155. Gonna use the revo for winter time practice when brass hides in the snow.

Thanks for making me feel almost "normal" :lol:

I tumble my .40 brass for about an hour, then spray it with One-Shot and resize/deprime all of it through my 650 & "U" die at roughly 1500/hour. Then I tumble the crap out of it with a walnut/alcohol blend and sort by headstamp after that. I keep a Dillon sizing die in the press when I'm loading ammo just in case. I don't like One-Shot on my finished ammo and I don't like tumbling loaded ammo. I do use the 650 for priming though.

Back in the 70s and 80s I was pretty darn fast with batch processing on my Spar-T turret press. Put the brass in the boxes I'd get with a dozen golf balls because they were shallow and it gave me better economy of motion. Took me forever to give up cleaning primer pockets, but I'm slowly moving into the modern age.

I had managed to collect about 250 of the *I* brass & I figured what the h#ll I'd load um & leave um at the last match of the year. Bad mistake because I had about 10-15 failure to feed out of multiple magazines. After the match I burnt up the last of them & had another half dozen jams. I had 1 lone box of Federals & they all fed fine. What is that old rule about not changing anything before a match that you haven't thoughly tested first.