Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone still smoke?

AikiDale

Isn't most of it eventually sold in Asia these days? :blink:

Yep. Good Kentucky Burley going to foreigners while Americans smoke God only knows what. I quit about 23 years ago and just before that I was buying a Canadian cigarette that was made with tobacco of all things. Business before pleasure I guess....

As H.L. Menken once said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." :D

Heck, there was a recent documentary (probably on Modern Marvels or some such) about cigarette production/factories, and they frankly admitted that many of the ingredients in some types/brands were materials swept off the factory floor! Really! They admitted it!! Bleh!!!! :sick:

Still using sticks huh? When you buying one of those fancy new harvesters? My dad and I grew some burley in southwest VA while I was in high school and college. I did my graduate work in flue-cured though. A lot of the smaller flue growers in southside VA are now growing burley though. It's funny, if I had waited a couple years I could have done my research on burley. The research station I was at is now growing as much burley as flue-cured. Well I could have anyway but Lexington is too far and that bright orange in Knoxville makes me nauseous.

Sorry about the rant, I've been away from the tobacco world for a couple of years and I miss it bad. Nothing like the smell of a tobacco field when it's 90-95 degress at topping time. Good stuff, thanks for sharing AikiDale

Those pictures bring back fond memories. As a teenager my brothers and I cropped tobacco one summer by hand in South Carolina. The farmer was our neighbor and we figured it couldn't be that tough. I think I lasted two or three days. Maybe less. Hardest work I have ever done. I gained a ton of respect for the workers around me during that brief stint as a cropper. In fact, one of those workers cropped my row during the first day because I coudn't hold my lunch. And she was in her late fifties, early sixties. Fond memories.

Aiki,

See if you can take some of that burley and drop it on the floor of a cig manufacturer so they can sweep it up. Dear lord cigarettes smell bad these days. <insert puking icon here> I nearly gagged to death on the way home today.

I *like* the smell of burley on the other hand....