Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Division G22 Slide

The Outsider

I just thought you guys might be interested in this topic I found over at GT.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=...threadid=755905

It looks really promising. It looks like they're finalizing this slide and will be making available soon. LWD always offers stuff at reasonable prices. I'm sure to try one when it becomes available!

Looks cool. I like the Weaver sight cut.

Anyone have feedback on the comp?

I like the Weaver cut too! Those Nikko Sterling sights look interesting. The Nikko's Diamond XT, the smaller sight that's mounted on a plate, is only a 4 MOA dot, way too small. The larger one on the weaver mount has a 12 MOA reticle and a 2-3 MOA dot in the middle. That one sounds interesting; you'd be able to get your quick sight acquisition as well as use the middle dot for the longer shots. No info on Nikko's reliability, but I do know that they're a little more than half the cost of a JPoint. They're also available at BOTAC.

I just got the 9mm version of that same comp and tried it on my G17C. It seems to have a less muzzle flip than the stock 17C barrel and a whole lot less than my G34. I didn't have any optics on my gun that day (the JPoint I received was defective), so I didn't shoot at anything more than 7 yrds away, generally aiming down the top of the slide (boy that felt weird). Shooting WWB 115gr and Miwall 124gr felt pretty good; almost 0 muzzle flip, but still some recoil. With Atlanta Arms 147 gr Subsonic it felt like shooting a spring loaded BB gun!

I was thinking of getting this .40 top-end to shoot Open Major, but a friend of mine thought that .40 in Open Major might be limiting due to the number of rounds in the mag. I was just worried about the ammo cost!

Edited by The Outsider

I like the Weaver cut too! Those Nikko Sterling sights look interesting. The Nikko's Diamond XT, the smaller sight that's mounted on a plate, is only a 4 MOA dot, way too small. The larger one on the weaver mount has a 12 MOA reticle and a 2-3 MOA dot in the middle. That one sounds interesting; you'd be able to get your quick sight acquisition as well as use the middle dot for the longer shots. No info on Nikko's reliability, but I do know that they're a little more than half the cost of a JPoint. They're also available at BOTAC.

I just got the 9mm version of that same comp and tried it on my G17C. It seems to have a less muzzle flip than the stock 17C barrel and a whole lot less than my G34. I didn't have any optics on my gun that day (the JPoint I received was defective), so I didn't shoot at anything more than 7 yrds away, generally aiming down the top of the slide (boy that felt weird). Shooting WWB 115gr and Miwall 124gr felt pretty good; almost 0 muzzle flip, but still some recoil. With Atlanta Arms 147 gr Subsonic it felt like shooting a spring loaded BB gun!

I was thinking of getting this .40 top-end to shoot Open Major, but a friend of mine thought that .40 in Open Major might be limiting due to the number of rounds in the mag. I was just worried about the ammo cost!

I have been shooting 40 open for about 5 years now with a G22 hybrid setup. I can get 24 rnds into my Taylor-Freelance exended mags. 25 rounds is really not much of a disadvantage. Cost is less about the same as 9mm major, less than 38 super. The big advantage you have is a 180 grn bullet only needs ~940FPS to make major. Lower velocity can result in softer feel with tthe right comp/spring setup.

Cy,

I'm going to throw some thoughts out here. I wouldn't put this on GT. It might sound like I'm crapping on his stuff. But, our guys are going to be looking at this from a hard use and Major power factor perspective.

- I'm having a hard time seeing that comp as much more than a barrel weight. There are no baffles, or even any ports in it. It looks like a muzzle break to me, not a comp. As a barrel weight...it will do some work. The downside to that is that you are adding a weight to an extended tilting barrel design. That is a known issue with the Glocks, as it robs energy from the cycling slide.

If we aren't going to get any comp action out of it...I'd just as soon see an extended barrel with porting.

- The barrel ports I'm not sure of. With 3 of them, and their size(?), there ought to be something going on there. I wonder a bit about the placement and about the holes in the slide. I wondering if the Glock slide might start to unlock before the gases get a chance to clear those holes. Then again...maybe that barrel weight out on the end will be slowing that process down. (I don't know here, just speculating.)

- Those optics. It will be interesting to see what happens here. The little one is a no go. No way it has enough glass. The big one looks interesting.

- Dot. I dug around and this (picture below) is what I found for the circle dot that may be an option...

I shot some with a Holosight® on a pistol. I loved the 65moa circle and the 1moa dot. [edit to add: this Nikko isn't a 65/1 moa setup...he is talking something along the lines of 10/2 moa inner and out dot...?]

- Slide ride and mounting? It will be interesting to see if this sight can hold up to the beating of riding the slide. Some do, some don't. The weaver mounting...I'm very skeptical. I have a hard enough time keeping the Weaver screws tight on a non-slide-ride. (note...this picture looks to be a different model than the two that LWD posted at GT)

:unsure:

post-690-1190392412.jpg

post-690-1190393259.jpg