Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi Open Revolver

underlug

What is the best way to a Bianchi Open revolver?

I never see these guns in the more traditional markets.

Is there a secret place? Handshake?

How does one establish a price, especially with a gun that goes through so many rounds?

How can you tell if the barrel has been shot out/shot with jacketed/or abused? Do the aftermarket barrels have a different look to them?

I'm sure one can always have one made by the name pistolsmiths. Are there any ins and outs to that route that will save some money? What is unnecessary that is often done? Porting?

Action pistol isn't shot much around here, so, there is no one local to ask.

Edited by underlug

I bought a Ron Power revolver at a gun shop in PA. Bruce Piatt had it there on consignment. I checked the power custom web page and it says that Ron no longer builds guns. You might try to send them an email and see what they say. Other than that it's just luck that you will find one.

The gun shoots 1.25" groups at 50 yards with zero bullets. It has an under lug and a finger stop on top for the barricade and it has a 1 port comp. I'd post a picture of it but I'm not home at the moment.

As far as a used gun goes I would check how the cylinder locks and that the gap between the cylinder and forcing cone is small. I would prefer that the gun have been fired with jacketed bullets as a comp gun that was used with lead bullets would have lead build up in the comp.

There are smith's out there that still build them. I shoot with a guy who just got one. Looks like he did a nice job.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Kevin

How does one establish a price, especially with a gun that goes through so many rounds?

How can you tell if the barrel has been shot out/shot with jacketed/or abused? Do the aftermarket barrels have a different look to them?

I'm sure one can always have one made by the name pistolsmiths. Are there any ins and outs to that route that will save some money? What is unnecessary that is often done? Porting?

Underlug,

I had an Open Revo built only last year or so by Randy Hollowbush at the Handgunner in PA, shoots better than I ever could and was relatively inexpensive to have it all done. I basically handed Randy a new 7 shot 686 and a blank check, but it came back well under what I had budgeted for, mainly due to Randy actually tested things before replacing with aftermarket parts, like the factory barrel will shoot a clover leaf at 50 ... (I didn't do that by the way, was actually Bruce when he helped me zero in). All I did was bolt on my own grips and Red dot and I was shooting it 2 days after I got it at Bianchi 06. I have added a pic to help out.

Cheers Ryan

post-5305-1189656051.jpg

Underlug,

I had an Open Revo built only last year or so by Randy Hollowbush at the Handgunner in PA, shoots better than I ever could and was relatively inexpensive to have it all done. I basically handed Randy a new 7 shot 686 and a blank check, but it came back well under what I had budgeted for, mainly due to Randy actually tested things before replacing with aftermarket parts, like the factory barrel will shoot a clover leaf at 50 ... (I didn't do that by the way, was actually Bruce when he helped me zero in). All I did was bolt on my own grips and Red dot and I was shooting it 2 days after I got it at Bianchi 06. I have added a pic to help out.

Cheers Ryan

"Randy" is the magic word. Great work and wonderful to deal with

I shot a Frank Glenn revolver for a few years and it shot really well, I don't know if he is still doing that or not. I had a k frame and found out pretty quick it couldn't hand the new Zero jacketed 125 that shot very well in it. So, the last year at the Caspian Bill Judiki (sp?) ask me why I wasn't shooting a auto. He said you have to clean them alot more but they sure help on the left handed stage of the pratical and a easier triger pull on the 50 would help too. Never sorry I switched! :D Only thing is now is finding a good smith that will stay with you!~

Kim

Edited by kimmbeckwith

There are a bunch of ways to do it, and a bunch of ways to save money. You can always just call any number of gunsmiths and have it built, or do something that is "good enough" yourself and save a ton of money. It is always nice to have the best and prettiest, but in reality, you can get similiar performance from something that is way cheaper.

Most 686's off the shelf will hold the X ring at 50, in my experience anyways. Buy a stock 6 incher, maybe even used, put in a reduced power spring kit, and throw a quality red dot on top. Done. You can always add and change as you go. If you want barricade wings, make a couple little paddles and screw them into the scope mount.

If you wanna spend some money you can get a real gem from a number of different guys, but if you spend over $1K, its because you chose to, not cuz you had to.

X2 on Kimber Kid's comment.

I started shooting Bianchi with a Clark PPC M10 with an Aristocrat Scope Base and a channel milled into it for wings. It held up but K Frames won't last as long as an L frame.

Then I shot autos for a few years.

Then built an L Frame in 38 Super for Bianchi which cured the ammo issue. I like shooting Revos better.

I had Randy Hollowbush tune my 625 :D ,price was excellent,and work was superb, tell him what you want done and ask if he has any suggestions. Turnaround time was very good also,but that may depend on time of year and work in front of him. He also has moonclips for just about any gun.FWIW

Scott