Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B Cases

Wandering Man

S&B in .45 is great stuff, especially by the 3rd loading.

S&B in .40 is mostly ok.

S&B in 9mm is a PITA. It's not that it won't work in the end and run reliably in the gun, but it's like having a press with intermittent malfunctions unless you spend more time than you want prepping cases.

Just reloaded 1000 45 ACP S&B cases on my 550B. If the primer seater assembly is not setup properly I get 4-5% crushed primers, the problem is fixed when you check the setup. From a quality standpoint I'm satisfied with the S&B cases.

In 9mm I've had 0 problems seating the primers without preparation.

Dick

• 4 weeks later...
Just reloaded 1000 45 ACP S&B cases on my 550B. If the primer seater assembly is not setup properly I get 4-5% crushed primers, the problem is fixed when you check the setup. From a quality standpoint I'm satisfied with the S&B cases.

In 9mm I've had 0 problems seating the primers without preparation.

Dick

That's intersting. I have had no problems with .45 cal reloading with S&B brass.

I recently tried removing the primers from my 9 mm S&B brass, reaming out the pockets, then reloading them. I'm using Winchester SP and SP Magnum primers. This helped some, but I still get about three or four out of a hundred that don't seat right.

No other brand of brass has given me any problems.

FWI, I'm using brass that has previously been fired, mostly picked up off the range floor. It's only the stuff with the red painted across the primers that gives me trouble. If I've shot the shell previously, then it's no hassle. I'm using the Dillon XL 650.

I've started pitching anything with a red primer.

WM

Edited by Wandering Man

Here in Europe, S&B is about the cheapest factory ammo available and although the brass lasts long, I have problems with the primer pockets.

So when I shoot 9mm and brass picking is not allowed, I shoot S&B, otherwise I prefer Magtech.

Here in Europe, S&B is about the cheapest factory ammo available and although the brass lasts long, I have problems with the primer pockets.

So when I shoot 9mm and brass picking is not allowed, I shoot S&B, otherwise I prefer Magtech.

9mm S&B brass is relatively thick walled brass, so it should be strong. Problem is that you need to check the settings when changing brass or allow for differences when using mixed lot brass. Accuracy wise I haven't noticed that there is a difference in accuracy when using mixed lot brass.

Dick