Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

United States Geography and History

mjbine

Jim,

Put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer....NJ was never a nice place and nobody from PA would ever think of moving to NJ. It is all the Jerseyites and New Yawkers that are turning PA into a dump. Where's the damn border patrol when you need them??? Hell Nik and Bucky jumped ship to PA...you're just mad cause you're still stuck in that hole.

No Jeff...I'm not going to the corner...I always thought sheep said BAA BAA until I saw a sheep farm in WV and they were all saying DAAADDD DAADDD.

Jim,

Put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer....NJ was never a nice place and nobody from PA would ever think of moving to NJ. It is all the Jerseyites and New Yawkers that are turning PA into a dump. Where's the damn border patrol when you need them??? Hell Nik and Bucky jumped ship to PA...you're just mad cause you're still stuck in that hole.

No Jeff...I'm not going to the corner...I always thought sheep said BAA BAA until I saw a sheep farm in WV and they were all saying DAAADDD DAADDD.

Chris,

Sheep only say that when they saw you! :goof:

West Virginia, just another example of Licoln's total disreguard for the US Constitution and a Lilly livered Congress that let him do it.

That begs for explanation.

The State, "Kanawha?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_West_Virginia

Wow -- long time to hold a grudge, Joe4d? :)

The explanation I was after was the part of how Lincoln was to blame. Somewhat ironic that a seccessionist state such as Viriginia was against part of their state seceding from the state. let's blame Lincoln for that. Crazy. :rolleyes:

Chris the inbreeding jokes are pretty played out, and most of us really think those of you that continue to make them need new material.

To really understand the derision aimed at West Virginians, and our thin skin about such slights you DO have to go back more than a century, but to the period of Reconstruction and how what Southern folk describe as "Carpet Baggers" and "Scalawags" were viewed.

WV is a fine state, as are the people that live there.

I've been in Oregon 10 years now, and even my own in-laws often bring up stuff about the other Virginia in small talk with me.

...does anybody really give a rats A$ how it became a state long before any of us were alive???

Probably not. :D

However, some may think George was on to something when he said:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

George Santayana

If this topic keeps down this path it will probably be closed soon.

Please be civil, I like this subject.

Just remember my northern cousins, those Southerners and even a few of us Texans are real touchy about this subject. We hold our history near and dear. Our forfathers cared enough to try to make a new nation. Right or wrong, this is our history. Southern heritage is still taken seriously in many places. Just as the Irish of Hell's kitchen are proud of their heritage, so are we. Just as the Italians of south Philly are proud of their heritage, so are we. Just as third generation autoworkers are proud to be so, so are we. Notions of state and regional loyalty run very deep here, especially in Texas. These are not things to be ridiculed, they should be celebrated. Why is it that people in the U.S. revel in the story of the Alamo? The Alamo fell in a war not for the United States, but for the Republic of Texas. The ideals fought for, however, were truly American. Personal freedom and limited government. This is why I celebrate my history.

Northerners, if you see or hear a Southerner ranting about the 'War of nothern aggression'

Smile and nod. You probably don't care, but know that we do.

Southerners , we lost. The losers always get f#%ked. Deal with it.

The confederate states might not been considered part of the union. So those states of course where not being governed by the president at the time WV became a state. Who knows?

I think the reason for the Civil War was to insure that the Union was preserved. I don’t know what the rational for the Creation of WV was, perhaps they considered the Virginia State Legislatures to have ceased being the legitimate Legislature when it ceded from the Union.

Respectfully,

jkelly