Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b case feeder

I am looking at the 550b case feeder as I don't have enough time to crank out the needed amounts of ammo I need with the current setup. My question is how difficult or time consuming is it to change for different calibers. I am shooting .45 ACP but I also load about 250 every other week of 45 colt for my pops. I am also looking into 9 and 40 down the road as well, or should I just sell it all and start with a 650 and be done with it.

I am looking at the 550b case feeder as I don't have enough time to crank out the needed amounts of ammo I need with the current setup. My question is how difficult or time consuming is it to change for different calibers. I am shooting .45 ACP but I also load about 250 every other week of 45 colt for my pops. I am also looking into 9 and 40 down the road as well, or should I just sell it all and start with a 650 and be done with it.

I have a 550B w/o casefeeder, and a 650 w/casefeeder. I love the casefeeder on the 650, makes reloading my 9mm and 40 a breeze. I am not going to buy a casefeeder for the 550 as it is my "quick change" press. I load 45/38 spcl/223/308 on the 550 and want to easily be able to change calibers on that one. My 650 is for doing multi-thousand batches of 9mm or 40 at one time, then I switch over from one to the other.

Tim.

Takes less than 5 mins....

My current setup on the 550 is for 40. It stays like this 90% of the time since that's what I shoot 90% of.

The change to 9mm, 45ACP, and 45LC is usually for one run on that caliber say for a 2 or 3 day period of time

then back to the 40. The casefeeder change is the easiest part of it. Small to large feeder plate, different colored adapter tube,

drop in shell holder, and a little tweak for case bounce. Quicker than the small to large primer change.

I am trying to decide to get the case feeder or sell all and get the 650 with case feeder. I just have lost alot of my free time due to work and house. I seem to have lost my rythum on the 550 also . I used to be able to knock out 100rds in 15 min on the 550 without breaking a sweat. I was not flying but I did check everything when doing it.