Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL powder measure Powder Through Expander?

I have been using the 40 cal version. I also had the same problem at first. I tried adjusting the die to touch the shell plate and still did not get enough bell on the case. I called hornady and they sent me a new expander that was a 1/4 inch longer. This was actually too long for me. I made an 1/8 thick spacer to fit on top of the expander inside the powder drop with a hole in the middle large enough that it would not interfere with the powder. Yes this is a little work but it made the expander work and i have had no proplems since then, 5-6k rounds. You can also make very minor tweaks buy moving the upper bracket that mounts to the threaded portion of the measure. You can only do minor changes here without effecting full travel of your powder measure. Hope this helps.

well I called Hornady this morning first spoke with Tom he was useless and call ended fast.

I called back an hour and half later and dont recall the name of the tech but he was more helpfull and tried transferring me to a Engineer but the operator arranging that pressed the wrong button and dropped me.

was less than happy. called back got the operator and she admitted to the mistake and connected me to an engineer who was helpfull I managed to get my .400 die working on his advise. but I put it off tinkering for most of the day and got back to looking at things my .355 PTE die has a shorter OAL than my .400 PTE. no wonder my 9mm casings are not getting enough I cannot adjust them or the thrower to bring the case up high enough.

whats scary is when the die and measure are so low when I cycle the press with zero case the measure half cycles.

not sure when I had the .400 belling right the thrower was working right ie moving properly up and down

need to check and tweak that. the advise the engineer gave me kinda worked but with the .355 PTE it would only half cycle the powder though wouldnt cycle when no case was present. still didnt bell/expand enough.

my .355 PTE looks like it would work fine with 38 super too bad I am using 9mm.

what a headache.

issue.jpg

pte.jpg

Edited by mrapathy2000

• 2 weeks later...

Use the Dillon Powder Measure w/ Expander Funnel on what ever brand of press you have and you'll be all smiles.

I sold off a bunch of RL-550Bs and now have 5 pre LNL Hornady Projectors with Dillon Powder Measures on each one, and on my RCBS AmmoMaster. I use 2 to 3 return springs on each for added reliability. The Dillon powder through Expander funnels have a sharp taper so you have a full adjustment to bell the case from a tiny bit to Oil Filler Funnel shape. All the other brands seem to have little to no taper built into the funnel. You must Use the Older style Dillon Powder Measure or on the newer dual rocker type just bend the safety out so it runs without binding.

I Love my Hybrid Hornadys. I use any brand of Carbide or Titanium sizer die but the last die Must be a Carbide Factory Crimp Die from Lee for Pistol or a Factory Crimp Die from Lee for Rifle. Each press is dedicated for 1 caliber only so the LNL feature is not that important to me and I saved by buying the older models. They are rock solid compared to Any Dillon but the RL-1000 or RL-1050 series.

I also use the same Dillon P.M. on my RL-1050s and RL-1000 machines.

My $18 Thousand Dollar AmmoLoads from Ammoload.com use a rotoray powder system or I would have put Dillon P.M. on them too.

Good Luck, GunWhoreDer

Edited by GunWhoreDer

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply you really seem to be into reloading.

I fixed my problem by grinding down the belling stem which had mostly useless portion that just added to case kneck tension this also keeps the measure from partly cycling when I raise the ram with no cartridge I also drilled a hole through the upper and lower bracket then tapped the upper bracket for 1/4 x20 then installed a 4" bolt below the lower bracket I put a nut and adjusted it so the nut contacts the lower bracket when a case is in the shell holder so it raises up but no longer over travels I can adjust the nut so I get the perfect amount of belling. The linkage arm from the lower bracket is not strong enough nor engineered to keep the top bracket from raising too high up my linkage arm is slightly bent below the knurled thumbscrew but still functions fine. had to trim off have the thread of the knurled thumbscrew as the bolt runs through where the rest of it would go.

now I just need to get a beller for 45 casings and from there will make a set of bushings that way when I change my belling dies I dont have to adjust the upper bracket. it really sucks that the customer has to do the engineering and R&D. hopefully now I no longer have to use my crappy lee powder through expander though it does work hoping the Hornady equipment gives me better throws of powder specially at the lower range with titegroup.

I just use Lee dies all around with the expanding die in the second station and the powder measure in the third. "Course that leaves me with the LNL "loaded round ejection problem with a crimp die in the fifth station" hassle but since I've made hand ejection and inspection part of my LNL load cycle...it works for me.