Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 problem

breid

It could be short cycling, try shooting a few high brass shells and see if that helps. If it works with the heavy loads, you might need to port the barrel to work with light loads. If it does not work with the heavy loads either, you may have a bent pin or part inthe gun.

I'm no shotgun expert or 110 expert but I have a feeling the loads are too light or the gas system isn't working exactly right. Have you replaced the O-ring? Cleaned the gas system well? If the bolt doesn't come all the way back during cycling, it isn't going to lock back.

YMMV, & of course someone else will chime in with the exact right answer. You might check these things, though. :D MLM

It could be short cycling, try shooting a few high brass shells and see if that helps. If it works with the heavy loads, you might need to port the barrel to work with light loads. If it does not work with the heavy loads either, you may have a bent pin or part inthe gun.

What pin would I need to check out?

I'm no shotgun expert or 110 expert but I have a feeling the loads are too light or the gas system isn't working exactly right. Have you replaced the O-ring? Cleaned the gas system well? If the bolt doesn't come all the way back during cycling, it isn't going to lock back.

YMMV, & of course someone else will chime in with the exact right answer. You might check these things, though. :D MLM

I thought about that but it is also doing it with Wolf Slugs, This is a non magnum gun and has been working fine. It is an older gun that I got used so I may have to replace the gas rings.

I'm no shotgun expert or 1100 expert but I have a feeling the loads are too light or the gas system isn't working exactly right. Have you replaced the O-ring? Cleaned the gas system well? If the bolt doesn't come all the way back during cycling, it isn't going to lock back.

I'm not a three gun shooter [yet] but over 40 years ago my first shotgun was an 1100. Some of my earliest hunting memories include the smell of Hoppes #9 followed by WD40. We were required to break down and clean our guns before we took our boots off! I learned early to keep the gas ports cleaned out, the mag tube wiped clean and the O ring replaced correctly. When I turned 18 and could afford it, I spent my own money on a 3" magnum 1100. I've since moved on to the Italian autos for waterfowl but have fond memories of the 1100 and just chimed in to second what MLM said above. Do those things first. By the way, the dove outfitters in Mexico and Argentina call the 1100 the 550 - because it only works half the time! There's a reason people use the spaghetti guns.

[didactic learning mode on]

The 1100 works by locking open on every shot. The next shell out of the tube unlocks the bolt and thus closes and chambers a round. A lot of the non-magnum 1100s don't lock, and it is simply a matter of good timing that the shell gets out and gets lifted for feeding.

The solution is to have a gunsmith install a 3" lifter (or carrier, as Remmy calls it.) The 3" lifter has a mechanical lock that secures the rear latch until the next shell crashes into it.

Remington discovered this part was needed when working on full-auto shotguns for the military.

The added advantage if the 3" lifter is that you can chamber a round from the magazine in one operation: yanking the bolt back. Usually on non-magnum guns you have to pull the bolt back, and then push the little nickled tab in the lifter to unlock it.

You do not need a 3" chambered barrel for this, the one you have will work fine. Installing the 3" lifter by itself does not make your 1100 a 3" magnum.

• 4 years later...