Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Help

ALRAY

I just received the large bolt handle, oversized safety and speedbar from Speed Shooters for my Benelli M1 Tac. Installing the bolt handle was no problem. Can anyone help with the installation of the safety button and the speedbar? The instructions say some filing and dremeling will be required for the speed bar. Any tips would be appreciated. Also, how do you remove the stock safety button?

Thanks.

Hopefully you have the manual that came with the gun. See TAV.1. Basically, after removing the trigger group, you push out pin 012A. This releases plunger 008A and Spring 007A so keep your hand over the top of the trigger group to catch these. Now remove the stock safety and install the new part. This can be set up right or left handed. I don't use the "Speedbar", instead, I use an EGW paddle facing forward which is drilled and tapped into the bolt release knob. This works very well. If you are shooting competition, I recommend the 3-Gun Gear "O. S." 2 round carrier located near the ejection port.

BillL223,

Thanks for your help. I'd like to find out some more about the EGW paddle. Do you have any picks? Did EGW install it for you? How much did it run?

Thanks again.

ALRAY

The EGW paddle is about 5/16 x 5/8 with both ends radiused. It is drilled and countersunk on one end for flathead allen screw. It is frequently used for pistol mag release buttons. The button or in this case, the bolt release button, must be drilled and tapped. I set up the paddle to run parallel with the barrel with the extension toward the muzzel. This gives you extra leverage on the bolt release and gets your finger just far enough forward to avoid slamming it with the bolt handle. I looked at the EGW website but couldn't find the part but I'm sure that if you clled them they'd know what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

DIY Speedbar installation:

The speedbar is supposed to hook onto your receiver between the front edge of your receiver and the mag tube and the forearm tension is supposed to hold the speedbar in place. The newer benelli's have a plastic spacer ring in the receiver where the mag tube screws into which prevent you from hooking the speedbar onto the receiver. So you have to cut a notch in the spacer ring to allow clearance for the speed bar. The instructions also say to file a notch in your forearm, but I don't do that, I want as much tension on that speedbar so that it doesn't move.

So to get the spacer ring out, you need to unscrew the mag tube from the receiver. It is blue loc-tited in so you may need a strap wrench to remove it. I do believe that it is standard threading so counter clockwise to remove. Once you unscrew the magtube, the spacer ring should pop out. While the spacer ring is in the receiver, place the speedbar where it should be located and mark on the spacer where you need to cut the notch. I clamped the spacer in a mill and cut the notch to the right size and depth to allow enough clearance to remove the speedbar if I wanted to. There are other ways to cut a notch if all you have is hand tools. Make sure to clean and degrease the magtube threads and apply blue loc-tite before you put it all back together.

• 2 weeks later...