Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do I Ship Firearms To Myself?

Hello All,

Looking for some information on how to ship firearms to myself, and back. I was going to drive to the 3 Gun nationals from Kalifornia, but work just took most of my driving time away. I am interested in shipping everything back in advance, and then return shipping to myself when I am done.

I have heard that if firearms are shipped from an FFL, and returned to an FFL it's OK. I am not finding any good info on this anywhere, or from anyone so far.

Freight and handling costs are not an issue to me, compared to the hassle of handling 3 long guns, a pistol, 50+ lbs of ammo, and all of my support gack as excess baggage on an airline.

Any info, or help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George, If you could find an area gunsmith that you could ship them to so he could oil them for and then you pick them up once you get there and then he return ship them. I'm just guessing that might work. Most shipping places will not let you ship firearms to yourself or one of the parties needs to be an ffl. But I have been told that some people ship them to yourself in care of the motel. But that much hardware I would be a little scared to send it to some body that I didnt know really well. Good Luck and if you dont mind let me know what you end up doing.

There is no legal way for an individual to ship firearms to himself. You can though ship a box of parts to yourself. Take the rest of it with you packed in your luggage. Ammo you can ship just not air.

I don't know how a FFL can handle it for you since when you get there you're out of state and he would have to log it back out and back in. The firearm is supposed to go back to the address it came from when shipping back and forth from a dealer to an individual.

Hmm, oiling the blasters out-a-state sounds like it needs to be looked into. Thanks for that lead.

Hmm, parts eh! Now that also deserves some consideration. Thanks.

I have talked to two FFL holders out here in the state of Caliban, and they both said they weren't interested in all of the paperwork required to do it at this end. So an FFL holder in Illinois is now my next line of research.

Anyone know a reputable gun shop in the area around Barry?

I will report back in as I learn more.

Thanks again,

FedEx only requires that either the shipper OR the receiver be hold an FFL.

Your options are: 1) Have an FFL nearby ship it via FedEx, which I believe they only require the license number (I was told this by the shipping clerk) or a copy of the FFL. (not much of a paper work hassle) or 2) you ship it to an FFL holder near the match.

I established my own FedEx account number so the was a reduced hassle about how much it was going to cost to ship. The account number is entered on the shipping slip and FedEx just bills my account directly. Again less hassle for the FFL. You can actually print the shipping labels right off your computer for both the sending to and from the match sight. Oh wait-again less hassle for the shipping.

I have found the more I can do to make the shipper life easier the better they take care of me. So I do most of the leg work so they do not have to do it themselves.

That should handle the guns.

The shipping of ammo is entirely different, as I understand it. I suspect because it is considered a hazardous material.

Your options may be to take 21 pounds of your most needed ammo on the plane and purchase the generic stuff nearby. By the time the Nationals occur the airlines will be enforcing the 50 pound rule for luggage. So divide you stuff up accordingly.

I have known folks to FedEx Gound their gear to the hotel.

I would suggest having the gear get to the hotel a day in advance of either your arrival or the match. FedEx is pretty good about getting stuff to you the next day if there is a delay. UPS seems to be much slower at finding delayed shipments. Plus I have never received anything from UPS that was not a day late! Additionally I do not think UPS is open on Saturdays whereas you can pick FedEx stuff up on Saturday.

Anyway this are some ideas that maybe useful to you.

Ammo:

Ship to yourself at the hotel (alert them) and make sure it is properly labeled for shipping. Ask FedEx (I prefer them to UPS) for the correct label for ammunition, 1.4 Consumer goods, and Flammable Solids.

Firearms:

Ship all removable parts, magazines, holsters, etc. Remove the receivers from the firearms and put put in locked case in your locked luggage. Declare them at check-in. Your luggage would then contain a handgun receiver, an AR lower and a shotgun receiver with stock. No problem.

Time it to all arrive a day or two before you do, then assemble the night before in your hotel room. Ship back the same way.

I hauled everything but ammo on the plane to the 2002 3-Gun Nationals, and will never do that again.

There is some confusion over the ATF's deffinition of a firearm which is the serial numbered part usually the frame. This is not the definition of a firearm in regards to shipping, it has to be a complete fireable firearm not just the serial number part to qualify as a firearm as to shipping UPS or Fed Ex. In other words if you're not shipping a complete firearm that could be fired with the parts in the box you don't have to use next day air. Just not having a magazine isn't enough Lots of people ship this way.

Patrick,

FYI

I have heard from United (and Southwest) that they limit the number of firearms to 2. I have not shipped more than one so I do not know if they enforce that rule. Other airlines may or may not have similar rules.

It might be worthwhile to call your airline in advance to obtain their policy.

There are no laws prohibiting shipping the firearms to yourself, care of another person. The trouble is getting the carriers to take them these days I have heard.

From the ATF's FAQ:

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

AFAIK ammo needs to be marked "ORM-D" but again I've heard of people having trouble shipping lately, despite the legality of it. Make friends with your UPS guy and it is probably easier...

Hello All,

I am thankfull for all of the replies. Great info from everyone.

I am definitely going for the ship it, and then fly unburdened routine however I can pull it off.

It is starting to look like shipping "parts only" via FedX is the way to go. I am thinking that shipping it to myself at the hotel I am staying at, and return shipping by dropping at the nearest FedX office is gonna be the way to go. I just don't trust anyone else to actually see it off.

I will definitely ship ammo earlier via FedX ground, using the appropriate labeling of course. Once again, delivered to myself, at my hotel. I am gonna pack it in disposable containers (factory cardboard packaging), and abandon any that is left over so I won't need to to ship any ammo home.

I still have a few questions, and things that need more clarification.

1. Is it neccesary to carry the disabling firearm parts with me, or can they be shipped in a separate box, maybe even in a separate shipment from the other parts?

2. If it is necessary to carry the disabling parts with me, does the same crazy "declare, inspect, tag, lock, and pray they don't mess with it anyway" routine that I have heard about come into play, or is at simple as saying that they are parts only, and then I get sent on my merry way?

3. Can the parts removed to disable the firearms be as simple as just the pistol barrel (or maybe just my Glock striker assembly), the bolt rifle bolt, the AR bolt carrier, and the shotgun bolt/carrier assembly (11-87)?

4. I don't want to separate my bolt action rifle after it is sighted in, so I would like to ship it intact (bolt removed to disable it). Anyone see any problems with this?

5. If I am only shipping parts, do I have to say anything to FedX about what I am shipping?

6. I would like to insure heavily, but list it as something like precision optics just to be low key (pending a yes answer to #5), and to justify the "fragile, glass, handle with care" stickers I am gonna put all over the box. Any thoughts on this point?

Thanks again,