Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 lb. Production Rule - Failed

Charlie Vanek

"You won't shoot IDPA because of the silly rules?"

Some of them, yeah! I especially like (not) the one disallowing knee pads. My knees are getting worse as I get older, and if a stage requires getting anywhere below standing, out come the knee pads. Oh, I know, I can wear them under my pants legs (assuming I'm not wearing shorts or that they'll actually fit under my pants). It just goes to show how silly, and UN-practical the rules are. To me knee pads are as much a part of my safety equipment as hearing and eye protection. None of which, btw, I'd have with me in a "real situation".

As a retired LEO, I think some of those rules are so burdensome that they could, in fact, get an officer killed. There is TOO much emphasis on cover to the point where, if a person had those rules ingrained, they might be looking for cover to reload behind instead of just moving and/or returning fire. I could go on and on. But it seems to me that in their effort to be "practical" they've taken away the shooter's ability to respond to the situation and think on his feet (not that I'm a great thinker, but I do have feet). USPSA/IPSC encourages free thinking to solve a problem. That's why I like it. No, most of the IPSC scenarios may not be tactically correct, but (speaking from a truly "practical" standpoint) the most important weapon in the arsenal of a competitor, civilian, cop, or soldier is his brain. Rules should be to provide a framework for competition, and to maintain safety. Not to make a competitor's decisions for him.

No, I haven't shot an IDPA match yet, though I'm not saying I never will. But I've read through the rule book and I find it humorous. It's hard for me to shoot while I'm laughing. I don't want to criticize anyone for choosing to shoot IDPA. It's shooting and I'm sure it's fun and has it's place. I just hope they don't think that they are training for anything "practical".

Edited by jobob

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic