Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oregon Section - www.oregonipsc.com

HoMiE

Was planning on heading to Medford tomorrow for a match. Anybody know what's going on with Eugene and Medford clubs? Went to go to http://www.oregonipsc.com and there is a notice that the site is shut down? How do you expect to get people shooting when you have no information on matches and locations?

Edited by HoMiE

Homie,

I live in Roseburg and understand your pain. Before going to ANY southern section match, call the day before and verify with the local club president that there is going to be a match.

My shooting partner has driven to medford and eugene this year and there was no one there on the scheduled match day. Very frustrating.

Pm me if you want more details.

I know the Oregon Section has had their difficulties. But the Columbia-Cascade Section (just a bit north) is alive an well. In fact we're having our section championship next weekend, July 21-22. 12 stages in two days with a BBQ at the end. Should be a great match. We've also got a ton of other matches coming up, Crazy Croc, Oregon Single Stack, Oregon Glock Championship, GSSF in Albany. PM me and I can get you any other information you need. The section website is www.columbia-cascade.org and it was up the last time I checked.

Chuck Anderson

Competition Director

Columbia Cascade Section

I will be at the SS and Glock matches.

I wish we could get more shooters out to COSSA as they are in the CCS. This months IPSC match however is the same day as CCS. :(

Shot at Medford today, looks like they are going to be shooting 3rd Sundays again. Same day as Tri-county.

If it's not one thing it's another.

I wish we could get more shooters out to COSSA as they are in the CCS. This months IPSC match however is the same day as CCS. :(

Shot at Medford today, looks like they are going to be shooting 3rd Sundays again. Same day as Tri-county.

I can''t figure out myself why there isn't much of a turn out from the other CCS clubs members in COSSA? Maybe the drive??? I guess HoMie and I are the only one that is crazy enough to drive 2-3 hours for a match.

I can''t figure out myself why there isn't much of a turn out from the other CCS clubs members in COSSA? Maybe the drive??? I guess HoMie and I are the only one that is crazy enough to drive 2-3 hours for a match.

Crazy? Maybey a little bit, but it sure beats working or doing other chores. Oregon has many scenic highways and don't worry, there are plenty of rest stops or places to pull over. RePete should know, he stops at all of them. :lol:

Yup, it's the drive for me. I'm not a morning person, so waking up at 5-6am for a match is a very hard thing indeed. I get the feeling that it is hard for you as it is for me since we don't see you at Eugene all that often. :)

Part of the problem is that there are so few shooters left in the Oregon Section. Attracting new shooters is a lost art and the older shooters drop off one by one. Having 4 shooters at a club match and 14 at a sectional match sucks. :( Heck, we lost a bunch of them when the Roseburg club closed it's doors. I was hoping to see some of them become regulars at Eugene, but it didn't happen. Heartbreak, I guess.

Politics doesn't help either. Personality conflicts and power struggles seem to keep some of the more experienced shooters from migrating around much. I've cultivated my "fly on the wall" abilities, and have heard members of both Columbia Cascade and Oregon sections disparaging the other section. The experienced shooters set the example for the newer shooters.

Finally, having the most populous part of the state in another section doesn't help. It sets up a barrier that folks don't seem to want to cross. I talked Monty into holding an USPSA match on the first weekend so it wouldn't conflict with a CCS match. We did this for several months. 3 shooters from CCS showed up.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

Politics doesn't help either. Personality conflicts and power struggles seem to keep some of the more experienced shooters from migrating around much.

This was going on when I started there back in '89. Same shit, different people. (Actually, some are still there....)

Part of the problem is that there are so few shooters left in the Oregon Section. Attracting new shooters is a lost art and the older shooters drop off one by one. Having 4 shooters at a club match and 14 at a sectional match sucks. Heck, we lost a bunch of them when the Roseburg club closed it's doors. I was hoping to see some of them become regulars at Eugene, but it didn't happen. Heartbreak, I guess.

I would love to help, if there is something I can do. Over the past several years I have emailed and/or tried calling Monty, Roger, Ed, Martie... and never heard back from any of them. I've basically given up, since there's nothing more I can do other than knock on their doors, and 6 hours of driving is a long time if there's a chance the door's not going to open.

If anyone in the Oregon section would like to get a hold of me, if nothing else to brainstorm what we can do - together - to get the section healthy again.... please contact me. I want to help. All my contact info is on the USPSA webpage, and I *do* return calls.

Bruce (USPSA Area-1)

I hear you about politics. I can't stand them, I just like to shoot and have fun. I like going to Eugene, but seeing the turn out makes me not want to go. I don't understand what is the real cause for the low turn out. Eugene and Albany is just as far for Homie and I to drive, but Albany has a lot more shooters. I guess this why COSSA is not a popular???? Maybe it is really the distance to get there. We just can't attract new shooters???? If it is really the distance so be it. At least I can understand that, but if it is something else then hey tell COSSA's match Director or Homie. I for one will be moving out of state for a couple of years. So I will miss all of the people and clubs that I shot with and at. But I plan of coming back in 2 years or less. I hope by then all this BS can get worked out. All or Oregon's clubs are great. Sure hate to see this happen.

I would love to help, if there is something I can do. Over the past several years I have emailed and/or tried calling Monty, Roger, Ed, Martie... and never heard back from any of them. I've basically given up, since there's nothing more I can do other than knock on their doors, and 6 hours of driving is a long time if there's a chance the door's not going to open.

Yeah, that ties into the next issue I addressed, politics. A very... strict... view of things along with a long memory combine to make alot of the senior folks in the Oregon Section less than friendly to outside help.

BTW, can we leave names of individuals out of the public discussion? I'm not sure it can help and pretty certain it can make things worse.

If anyone in the Oregon section would like to get a hold of me, if nothing else to brainstorm what we can do - together - to get the section healthy again.... please contact me. I want to help. All my contact info is on the USPSA webpage, and I *do* return calls.

I'll PM you, but I'm not sure how much help I'll be. There are very definite limits to how much time I have available and what I'm good at (I suck at administrative duties).

I didn't mean to stir up the pot. I just wanted to know what is going on? I would like to know if there is going to be a website with the club schedules. I don't want to have to call the match directors (especially early in the morning) every time to see if a shoot is happening before I drive 100+ miles.

We have enough enemies being gun owners who like to shoot as it is. We don't need to make problems amongst ourselves. I just want to shoot and I hope the different clubs can get together and schedule matches to give the most shooting opportunities for all to enjoy. I try and make it to every match I can. Too bad my radiator just started to leak and I don't think I can make it over to the CCS match this weekend. :(