Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer Coated Bullets

cavallino

Have shot black polymer coated lead through a 686 for many years with reasonably good results and recently tried some 125gr Hornady XTP bullets with poor accuracy results . Have heard several urban myths that the polymer coating gets into the pores in the barrel and requires several hundred rounds of copper jacketed ammo through it before any real accuracy results can be determined.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can confirm the myth??

• 3 weeks later...
Have shot black polymer coated lead through a 686 for many years with reasonably good results and recently tried some 125gr Hornady XTP bullets with poor accuracy results . Have heard several urban myths that the polymer coating gets into the pores in the barrel and requires several hundred rounds of copper jacketed ammo through it before any real accuracy results can be determined.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can confirm the myth??

Dont really see how it would fill the pores in the barrel. If you are running a stiff bore solvent and brush when cleaning, it should be getting everything out.

g10

I would think 50 ~ 100 rounds of jacketed bullets would be MORE than enough to clean all that crap out.

Can't help you with what that stuff is doing to the pores in your LUNGS :o The 'myth' I heard was that the polymer coatings have formaldehyde in them. :surprise:

If an XTP won't shoot something is wrong. That is my first choice (after lead bullets I cast) for wringing the last bit of accuracy out of a gun. It has been my experience that XTP's are fantastically accurate bullets and pretty tolerant of loading. I would scrub the bore out good with patches and solvent, then a MILD session with JB Bore Paste, see what it does then.

Some guys are going to cringe, but try them with a good stout load of Unique and magnum primers, has always worked for me in 357 when looking for really small groups.