Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Tru-Bore 38 Super

Joseph796

• 3 weeks later...
This isn't mine and I do not know the seller but if this was a 9mm gun...... I'd check into it. I don't want a super gun STI in classifieds

I know a guy who bought a Tru-Bore and had to send it back to Brazo's to get it tuned. It didn't run worth squat out of the box. Not knocking it, just what I saw. After he spent the money for the test and tune ($150.00 iirc) plus shipping (usually ~$40.00+) he has a gun that runs but still isn't 100%. It may just need a few more rounds thru it to get it broke in though.

I sold a Tru-bore 9mm to one of my friends.NIB It works like a racer gun without doing anything to it.

There's nothing really "wrong" persay about the guns, but they are rough in some fitting areas, they aren't near as good as something you'd get from a competent gunsmith and let's face it, for a little more money (over the $1,900) you could be into a great slightly used open gun.

There are a ton for sale on these classifieds, the USPSA classifieds and bunch of other sources. Good places to check are Area and Section websites. A lot of times they have classifieds. Our own Chris Patty on the Dealer Forum (CPWSA) often sells great used guns (including a sweet Brazos BCG Pro Series Open Gun recently) for around your price range.

My first open gun was a used one too while the new one was getting built. Luckily they were identical and well...used a Rusty Kidd Viper is still better than most out there.

So, keep your head up on finding one and definitely the eyes open.

Rich

What are your thoughts, opinions, etc. about a "stock" STI Tru-Bore 38 Super. I am a C Class open shooter interested in stepping up from a Glock 35 40 S&W Open.

They're not "bad" guns, but if you pay the suggested retail for one ($2600) you're getting pretty close to the point that you could have a basic, solid gun built by a decent smith. The Tru-Bore might run, it might not and if you pay to have it tuned now you're really close to the price of a basic smith built gun. I'd put my money on a basic gun from a decent smith. Buying a nice used Open gun isn't a bad idea either...you'll get a lot more gun and maybe some extras thrown in. There are a lot of people that buy expensive Open guns and decide it just isn't for them pretty quickly.

I totally agreee with you for the $2,600 list price. But, on Gunbroker there is a NIB STI Tru-Bore for a Buy Now price of $1,900. Sound interesting?

Randy-

There are quite a few "FFL dealers" that list in GunBroker. I have dealt/received from a few of them on deals such as yours. Just realize that a "local" dealer to you might be able (maybe) to match those prices, and save you shipping, insurance, receiving FFL's fees, etc., plus give you a face you can connect to the deal for any discrepancies. May I suggest you do a couple of calls around before you buy. There are no guarrantees someone will beat those prices, but you never know unless you shop around... and make sure that what you get is what you really want. Like someone already mentioned, you still need to get a few more magazines, holster, "red dot sight" etc.

Remember this forum's moto: "Maku Mozo" !!!!!!

( By the way on Thursday eve match at Markham, ask "Big Ed" about the gun he has for sale, he'll probable let you shoot it... )

I purchased a 38 Super Tru-bor from Dawson ($2375. + tax). Had it Gawson tuned, no hard chrome($150.) shipping($25.). The Tru-bor trigger can be tuned down to 2lbs if you know how. I put a DK trigger and CS sear and a 17# MS for a reliable 1.5# trigger($140.). Had the slide flat topped and 2 holes added ($150.) Mags 4 at ($100) each. I had to tune the ejector myself as Dawson left it to long for 1.250 OAL. Now I load 1.225 oal. The gun runs flawless and eats 38 super AND 38 super comp brass. :surprise: The extractor holds the 38 super tite but still functions flawlessl with super or super comp. Good accuarracy. I am a C open shooter, but get accussed of sandbagging <_<

Add it all up and you can decide if you want a Tru-bor or a custom. As a side note as always happens as soon as I got my Tru-bor some guy at the club decided he had enough of open and wants to sell his custon 38 super plus mags and more for $2000. :angry2: I do not know how it runs as I am afraid to shoot it as I may get even more pissed :angry2:

XCUSMYSPELIN :cheers:

LOL at "pissed"...ain't that ALWAYS the case? :lol: