Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with Winchester 38 super + brass?

dfwmiket

I just ordered 1K of Winchester brass to compliment my Starline supply...... and after loading a little bit of it, it seems as though my primers are not seating 'flat' like they do on the Starline brass. I checked all the obvious things, and can't seem to find a reason. I can also put Starline on, and it will seat beautifully.......Winchester, hit or miss. What am I missing here?

-Mike

Edited by cnemikeman

What press, what primers? I have used mostly Remington and Winchester brass for years and have never seen this problem with the Winchester brass.

When I had my 550 and 650 if I found a raised primer it was usually due to "operator error", failure to fully push forward to seat them. Now that I have my 1050 that situation has been eliminated.

cnemikeman,

Sometimes the table thingy that the primer bar that is attached to the shell plate comes loose. If those screws come loose you will notice the shell plate dragging when you rotate the shell plate to the next position. Tighten those screws up with allen wrenches (there a bi*ch to get at). I can only speak about a 550 but it may apply to your 650 presses too.

Hope this helps. :mellow:

Ken

Well, it seems as though the Winchester brass is not quite as thick at the rim as Starline, and the combo of small rifle and this brass don't like each other. It works great w Starline brass and these primers, and it works fine with small PISTOL primers and the new Winchester brass, just not small rifle w/ the Winchester. I don't seem to have any real solutions, so most likely just work around it w/ small pistol primers for now, unless someone offers up a brilliant solution.

=Mike

Hey Mike.

Some times on my shell plate I have to clean out the grove that the brass fits in. I get a buildup of very small powder caked in. I use a small paper clip to clean out the shell plate, I have to scrape at it some times.

I load super comp ,but some times I do have that same problem. going from Star line super comp to TJ comp.

JF