Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Steel Challenge Match Questions

nhglyn

I am going to shoot my first Steel Challenge match later this month and want to practice for it. No steel, so I cut circles etc. out of the no-shoot sides of IPSC targets and will use those. I have the course setups from online but need some pointers as to how best to shoot the stages.

Without giving away trade secrets, what is the best way to shoot each of the following:

Smoke and Hope

Speed Option

Five To Go

Pendulum

Outer Limits

Accelerator

Roundabout

Showdown

If possible can you explain which plate to start on and what order to shoot them with, obviously, the stop plate last. What is the quickest way to get each run done?

Also, what are the procedures for Showdown and Outer Lilits as they have more than 1 box? Shoot each plate from each box and then the stop plate last from the last box? Or something else?

Lastly, can you give me some idea as to what I should look for as an average time on each different course. I have been shooting IPSC for 3 years and am currently an "A" class in Open division. What should I see for decent times as I do each one? And yes, I have downloaded one of my open guns with reduced spring etc. to lower the power factor for this match.

And, are there videos online somewhere of people shooting each of these stages that I can look at and learn?

Many thanks for your time, this looks like fun. I appreciate your help.

I am no Grandmaster, but I shoot the steel best with "the force"...point being that I do best when I feel it happen rather than try to make it happen. You will get slower times with tention....it causes you to tense up and to have a crap time to first hit. Keep it simple and relaxed and you will do great. Oh and don't aim :closedeyes:

:cheers: get ready for lots of fun. The first shot is not normaly the most important = Set up your index on the most difficult target, and give up some time on the first shot for a better overall time.

Come on down to Texas our club will be hosting all 8 stages August 5th in preperation for the California World shoot.

:cheers:

Edited by AlamoShooter

:cheers: get ready for lots of fun. The first shot is not normaly the most important = Set up your index on the most difficult target, and give up some time on the first shot for a better overall time.

Come on down to Texas our club will be hosting all 8 stages August 5th in preperation for the California World shoot.

:cheers:

I don't want you practising Jamie............ <_<