Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Mag Carrier

ChrisStock

First IPSC match ever, and I acquired a nice Kydex mag holder to replace my tactikewl black velcro holder. In dry fire/reload practice, everything was cool. Everything was cool until I had to run 20' QUICKLY on a stage to take a shot.

I was already flustered that I had drilled a no shoot in an attempt to take a longer shot. After drilling the cardboard good guy more than once :ph34r: , I ran forward like I should have from the start and things went south. Quickly.

Somewhere between where I took off from and where I ended up shooting, 2 mags were bounced out into the dirt, and I had to eat a doublemike sandwich.

THAT was embarrassing.

Practice with your equipment like it will actually be used. Equipment lesson learned, and a free bonus course in humility.

I lost a mag once while running. Before I even got to the next stage I tightened the screws on all my mag pouches. It has never happened again and when doing reloads I don't even realize that they are tighter.

• 3 months later...

People wonder why I have five mags on my belt (100 rounds) and my barney mag in my pocket (usually something like 15rds left in it) and you've just experienced why. At the CO state championship I started one of the stages through a door and managed to knock off two of my mags on the doorframe. No problem, got lots more where those came from.

• 1 month later...

oh, it can happen. I usually start out with my 3 10rd mags, long stages get to the 8rd Wilsons, and if I end up down in the 7rd'ers I have stuffed in pockets, whew, that one has been a workout, or I am dribbling mags somewhere. :cheers:

<_< Oh man ... :blink: don't make me tell this :unsure: Long time ago, just starting out I had a Browning HP. The stage had a required reload. I went for the mag and was bringing my left had to the gun with the new mag and ,,....I completely missed the gun with the mag :surprise: and the mag went flying all the way over the top of the side berm.

When I missed the gun, my left hand went past and hit my left wrist under the right wrist launching the mag on its skyward path.

I think the match before that one was when I had a hard time hitting one small piece of steel, a target they called a "Stop Plate" I ran the mag out and said I can't seam to hit that one and the RO was so very kind to explain what a stop plate was with the clock running and that finding another mag in my pocket would be the thing to do.

only- Two other guys are remaining with the club form them days,

They still call me -Boy- <_< and when a new shooter is having problems, We exchange a wink. ;)

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

I did something like that during one of my first matches. Important lesson, make sure the paddle mag holders are secure before starting the stage. I shot the first array, then went to change mags. Whoops! I grab the mag from the holder, and it comes off my belt with the mag holder and another mag attached. I had to shake the mag holder off to do the reload, and off flying went the mag holder and the other mag. Needless to say not one of my brighter moments.

Other than screws loosening, I think a of of folks set their mag pouches to have zero resistance while sitting in their favorite chair at home. Big mistake.

My concern is that the mags come out smoothly. If the pouches are angled correctly, a little bit of reisistance shouldn't be a factor. It really doesn't take much to keep them from falling out.

To too many people, their gun is their "play pretty" that gets all of their attention. I look at each piece of equipment as equals; all needing to perform 100% for me to have any success.

My wife thought I was wasting her time when I spent forever on her mag pouch angles and holster(race) setup. However she's never had a problem in a match.

• 2 weeks later...