Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moly coated bullets

solaritx

The question came up recently and would like more input.

It was suggested that the moly coating on lead bullets have a "lapping" effect on barrels. This was seen in both pistol and now rifle barrels.

Any information?

Thanks

Garry N

I haven't noticed any unusual wear from the masterblasters that I shoot. I used them in a Glock with Barsto for a while. Now using them in my SV with schuemann with TiN ceramic coating.

Edited by splashdown

I've used the MB bullets and they work ok, leaving metal fouling in my bore using either Titegroup or Ramshot Competition. I am able to remove it easily after a short soak in 50/50 H2O2 and household vinegar.

I will try the Precision offering next.

If that doesn't work, it is back to using my own cast bullets.

In the case of rifles with the moly coating, I think it is a solution in search of a problem. I tried it many years ago in highpower competition and noticed no benefits, and have not gone back to it either.

YMMV.

This is something you mainly hear from rifle shooters, shooting Jacketed bullets that have been moly coated in a very different process than the lead Pistol bullets. There may be some truth to that, I'm told that once you go moly in a rifle, never try to remove it all from the bore, just keep shooting moly.

I have shot tens of thousands of moly bullets from bothe Precision, and MasterBlasters in several pistols, no adverse effects.