Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't loosen lock ring on die

Need help guys!

I can't seem to loosen the lock ring of my Redding Competition Seating Die. Don't want to force it with tools as the die might get damage. Somehow was able to remove it out of the toolhead but still the lock ring won't budge. Need to re-adjust my settings with the seating die. Any ideas & tips? Thanks!

Need help guys!

I can't seem to loosen the lock ring of my Redding Competition Seating Die. Don't want to force it with tools as the die might get damage. Somehow was able to remove it out of the toolhead but still the lock ring won't budge. Need to re-adjust my settings with the seating die. Any ideas & tips? Thanks!

If I understand you correctly, the lock ring is up near the top of the die, and the die is out of the press?

I think I might try using two spare rings (if you have them), thread both spare rings on the die from the bottom. Once the second ring is threaded onto the die turn then against each other, turn the top ring (the first one that you put on) to the left as if you are taking it back of off the die, and continue to turn the bottom ring to the right as if you are still putting it on (if you do this with wrenches don't use much pressure). After the two rings are jammed together, put a wrench on the ring you cannot remove, put another on the topmost of the two rings, then while turning to the left on the topmost of the two rings, turn to the right with the ring you couldn't remove. It should come right off. Then the jammed together rings should back away from each other with wrench pressure.

If you have no spare rings, you could maybe try wrapping a heavy piece of leather (old belt) around the threads on the ring, grip the belt with pliers, then loosen the ring with a wrench. Be careful though, I've never really tried this on a die before not sure how much it takes to damage the threads.

Good luck

Emailed Redding about the problem and this is what they replied:

Thank you for using Redding Reloading Equipment. There is a piece of lead shot under the set screw in the lock ring. It protects the die threads from the set screw. To loosen the lock ring, back the set screw off a turn or two and strike the lock ring on a wood block, or the underside of your loading bench. The impact will dislodge the lead shot allowing the lock ring to turn freely.

Funny..as I was about to strike the lock ring with a hammer mallet, the die slipped off the table and fell to the floor. When I turned the lock ring, it was already loose. =)

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

The set screw in Redding locking rings is designed to "lock". On the rare occasion that I have to adjust one I use 2 channel locks and some leather scraps. Loosen the set screw and a quick twist will loosen the lock ring. You can also use special redding lock ring pliers that Sinclair makes.