Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found a Gun, Now What?

About 20 years ago, I had a S&W Model 27 in a sports bag fall off the back of my motorcycle. In incorrectly believed I had it sufficently secured. I immediately reported it as lost, and it was entered into NCIC as lost. I never saw this gun again. Turn the gun in. Someone may want it back.

Do you know anyone with an FFL? Have them try to find out who the gun was transferred to and call to see if it was lost or stolen and return it to him if lost. Have him meet you at the police station if stolen when you turn it in.

Edited by Jaxshooter

IF the gun has no "bad history", take it to a local dealer and ask them to do the background check and transfer the gun to you, which they should do for a small fee.

ObNote, I'm not an FFL, but I'd be very surprised if a dealer worth his salt would "transfer the gun" without knowing who/where it was coming from. I suspect it would have to cross his bound-book, and he can't just leave the "transferor" side of the ledger blank....

B

I'm pretty sure the same individual can be the "from" and the "to" in a firearms transaction.

For example, if you pawn a gun it has to be logged in and out to the same individual and the 4473 form + background check still applies when picked up.

If you sold or traded a gun to a dealer and later decided to buy it back, that would be another example of a gun coming from and going back to the same person.

It happens all the time.

Suppose this individual turned it in and no one claimed it.

If it was given back to him as "found property" by the authorites, at some point he still has to go through the registration process/background check by an FFL doesn't he?

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Well, it's to late now but, for what it's worth. A gun "found" along a road has a 99% chance of having been used or about to be used to commit a crime. Logic dictates. You find a gun. You DON'T touch the gun. Call the police non-emergency number or have someone get to a phone and explain what was found. Tell them you'll stand by until a patrol officer arrives. When he/she does, show them where it is. Once the gun is secured identify yourself. Ask for a copy of the incident report. Go home.

Jim

A hot gun on the side of the road is evidence no matter what. It should not have even been touched. The possiblilty of it being freshly used in a crime is too high. If you have any friends that are LEO, give it to them now that it has been touched. They can run the numbers immediatley to see who it belongs and whether it's stolen. They run the serial numbers like a ViN, at least you could get more info. I'd get rid of it. Even if it's nice, it's still dirt.

BTW- Wipe it down again.