Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays

sschultz

Hello

I'm new to this sight(but I have been reading it) I have been reloading for many years but I have run across a problem with my 45 reloads. I have been using 4.3 grains of clays 200gr westcoast RN bullets seated to 1.265 crimped to .470. The cases show no regular signs of high pressure but one side of the case is real sooty. Is this something that happens with clays.

sschultz

It isn't a big deal, it isn't something to be concerned about, and it is going to happen with just about every powder out there. This has as much to do with the gun as it does the load in most cases. Clays is a very fast powder, it has a very short time to peak pressure, and if you use anything slower the soot on the cases will likely get more pronounced.

If you really MUST reduce it, get an EGW U-die and use it to size the cases. The added tension on the bullet will increase initial pressures and give you a better chance of the case sealing the chamber. Odds are that this gun will never seal the cases completely.

Shoot on!!

• 4 months later...

If the problem just started maybe your recoil spring is nearing the end of its life. I have heard (but never witnessed) that the spring could allow the gun to come out of battery prematurely allowing some gas and carbon to discolor the outside of the case.

I Sschultz - that was almost my exact load when I shot a .45 STI Edge.

I did not use the magnum primer you use (that might be where the soot comes from). I just used Winchester large pistol primers. To make that 200gr West Coast RN (now discontinued) fly to 170 PF, I have to use 4.5 grns of Clays. Very clean and soft.