Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals - Palm Scoring Overview

Rob Boudrie

I will be presenting an overview of the Palm scoring system from 6-7PM immediately preceeding the Presidential Candidate's Forum at the Nationals in Missoula. I'll have about 20 Palms with me so interested persons can give this system a try, and also show how it integrates with EzWinScore.

Rob,

Do you have approximate costs for the hardware/software required to operate the system?

I remember an old discussion where the cost of the software was cost prohibitive.

Hardware is about $30/Palm (IIIxe via E-Bay).

The software is pricey - last I checked it was about $700 for a club license (software for 22 Palms for - 2 masters plus 20 score collection Palms), however, he was still hoping to arrange to sell it on a mission count basis. I will be having a conversation with him shortly as I would like to have precise answers.

EzWinScore 3.02 will suport Three Gun Palm integration (sorry, no Multigun in the Palm - at least not yet) and is being put to an initial test at a 3 gun in Massachusetts this Sunday.

(sorry, no Multigun in the Palm - at least not yet)

Note that, if it'll score a pistol match, it'll score a [uSPSA] Multigun match.

Sorry to hear you won't be there, Rob.

Bruce

True - using the current "workaround hack", however, I have a plan for adding multi-gun support into EzWinScore in a very nice user friendly way where you configure the allowed gun types into the stage profile, and the score entry screen wiill have a separate A/B/C/D boxes for rifle, pistol and shotgun (with the boxes for guns not in use on that stage either not visible or disabled).

I don't want to encourage use of the "workaround hack" with Palm scoring, only to introduce "Native Mode" MultiGun scoring in EzWinScore, but still require a hack for Palm users. Once we have the MultiGun feature in EzWinScore, I'll have a chat with the folks down under about upgrading the Palm software.

Sorry to hear you won't be there, Rob.

Not as sorry as I am :(.

Rob,

If I understand correctly, the program cost is $700 for 22 licenses for individual units and 2 "Master Units" Then add in about $30 per Palm from Ebay.

This is becoming an affordable system. I would not want to see mission count pricing, unless it has either a top end or an upfront option.

Rob, will you be at the AWARE to review the Palm scoring?

Jim

I think that the Palm system would take off if the software price were not so steep. At the current price level, I doubt that more than a few well funded clubs or matches will choose to purchase them, or can afford them.

I think that the Palm system would take off if the software price were not so steep.

Speaking from experience (!), this is what can happen when a software developer sets his price by "what do I need to price it at in order to recoup my development costs and pay myself a reasonable return on effort?" rather than "what price will drive demand-in-the-marketplace?"