Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Been messing with Reddot

glock10mmman

A few years back I loaded a few 40 and 45 with some reddot, just playing with loads and did remember it was a dirty load, but recoil was very light with almost no muzzle snap.

Anyway I have been looking for "just the right load" for production minor in my Glock 35. Im running a 14# recoil spring with lightened springs all the way around aside from my trigger job.

I still have an 8# keg from my trap days so I figured I would give it a whirl. W/ 180 grain jacketed bullet, max load calls for 5.9 grains. I loaded all the way up to 6.5 before I started to notice some pressure signs, nothing that would cause a major concern, but my point was making a load that was half the max charge incase I had a double charge with my 550 so my gun would KB. Anyway I was able to make it down to 3.0 grains and get reliable function with my gun. I havent been able to crono the load yet, but judging from the data published in my book it should make 134 power factor.

Anyone tried this yet?

Thanks

g10

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my first .40 last weekend, and will be reloading this week when my conversion kit arrives from Brian. I will attempt to use Promo, which can be used grain for grain like Red Dot, pushing 180gr lead. I believe that around 4.5 gr was the starting point, and you are well underneath that.

My limited experience has shown that significantly under-loading results in uneven compression and some plug @$$ dirty casings and barrels. I'll let you know the results this week.

Chris

Used Red Dot years ago. Fast & low recoil, but dirty. The makers of Red Dot also make a replacement called "E3" which is supposed to be cleaner than Red Dot but otherwise similar. Might look at "E3" instead of Reddot.

They also make a cheap alternative to Red Dot and E3 called "Promo" and it's only available as an 8 pund keg. I did a little bit of experimenting with it, but have not beein shootinga semi in 40 for a while. I may develop a load for it or continue to use Ramshot competition for my minor loaded 40's. It is supposed to be the identical weight to weight as Red Dot, but a different volume, so weigh it and see how fluffy or dense it is comparitively.

I bought my first .40 last weekend, and will be reloading this week when my conversion kit arrives from Brian. I will attempt to use Promo, which can be used grain for grain like Red Dot, pushing 180gr lead. I believe that around 4.5 gr was the starting point, and you are well underneath that.

My limited experience has shown that significantly under-loading results in uneven compression and some plug @$$ dirty casings and barrels. I'll let you know the results this week.

Chris

I had the load cronod this weekend and the low side makes 125 power factor and the high side makes 127 power factor.

I will have to give promo or E3 a look.

g10

They also make a cheap alternative to Red Dot and E3 called "Promo" and it's only available as an 8 pund keg. I did a little bit of experimenting with it, but have not beein shootinga semi in 40 for a while. I may develop a load for it or continue to use Ramshot competition for my minor loaded 40's. It is supposed to be the identical weight to weight as Red Dot, but a different volume, so weigh it and see how fluffy or dense it is comparitively.

Red Dot/Promo and E3 have the exact same burn speed burn speed but E3 is about 10% more dense than Red Dot. Make sure you start with a weight charge of about 10% less powder. And yes it is clean. 500 rds through the Browning Gold and the gas system is just a light gray color. 100 rd of Estates/Federal and it is black.

Scott