Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training Plan

NOSAJ19

I'm looking for a training plan for IPSC shooting.

I have Brian Enos' & Steve Anderson's 2 books on their way, & am looking to put a training plan together. Has this been done else where (point me in the right direction)?

Say a 10-12 week program, including one 3-4 hour range day & 3-4 thirty minute home dry-fire sessions per week.

This program is designed to bring a novice IPSC shooter through a 3 month training plan, giving him/her the basic skills of IPSC Sport Shooting, so they can then continue their own development base on their interests & needs.

Cheers.

It sounds like you already have one. If you know you can devote 30mins to dry fire everyday and 1 3-4hr range session a week then there is your training program. If you try to work someone elses training program then it will probably not work for you. Sitting down and really thinking about what you are willing to devote to a schedule is a major part of the whole training process. If you have Steve's book coming then use those drills for both dry and live fire to track your progress. Saul Kirsch has a book, Perfect Practice, that has lots of live fire drills also. Look at some of the various range diaries on here to get an idea of how different people train. Hope this helps.

IE,

thanks for your reply. Yeah, I also have those couple of books by Saul Kirsch. It's a bit like, all the gear, no idea.

I'm looking for some advice in structuring the plan. Obviously starting with the basics & building onto those with additional skills.

I'll check the range diaries you suggest.

Cheers.

You can read books until your eyes fall out and you can dryfire until you break your gun but you MUST do a large amount of live fire to actually learn to control the gun under various circmstances. Speed comes with live fire practice desgned for speed shooting. With any physical drill, exercise or task, the more you actually do it the better your body will do that task. In the defensive tactics class I taught at our academy we were told by the organization (PPCT) that it would take at least 2500 repetitions to obtain a minimal neural pathway for your brain to send familiar signals to part of your body to intiate an action under a gross motor skills incident. Check your heart rate when you come to the line. If it's over 115 beats per minute then you are in a gross motor skills incident and pulling the trigger is a fine motor skill! You need the repetitions under live fire and match pressure. You can't learn enough recoil control from dry fire.

Spend the money for one good school like Max and Travis etc...

Get their idea for a training plan and then go for it.

I have a triple Bill Drill exercise that I understand is much like something Max uses. It builds speed, recoil control, and sight realignment under rapid fire. You can't get it from dryfire.

Shooting steel plate matches is great for shooting smaller targets under pressure and the steel sound gives you instant feedback on your shots.

You might want to check out Matt Burketts site. He has a 10 week plan that includes dry fire and match work. I'm sure that it could be used with live fire practice as well. Hope this helps and good luck!

I'm looking for a training plan for IPSC shooting.

I have Brian Enos' & Steve Anderson's 2 books on their way, & am looking to put a training plan together. Has this been done else where (point me in the right direction)?

Say a 10-12 week program, including one 3-4 hour range day & 3-4 thirty minute home dry-fire sessions per week.

This program is designed to bring a novice IPSC shooter through a 3 month training plan, giving him/her the basic skills of IPSC Sport Shooting, so they can then continue their own development base on their interests & needs.

Cheers.

YES - Matt Burkett has a plan in his book. It includes dry fire, live fire, physical training, mental prep and diet. Lemme see if I can find my copy...

You are well on your way.

When I made my most rapid progress, I dry fired an hour a day (or more) and went to the range 3 times a week plus at least one match a week.

After you can hit any target on demand, dry fire is for fundamental classifier type skills, live fire is for field course work.

It will serve you well.

SA

YES - Matt Burkett has a plan in his book. It includes dry fire, live fire, physical training, mental prep and diet. Lemme see if I can find my copy...

I haven't been able to get my hands on the book yet. I know it's "in the basement", but sheesh, we've got 8 moves worth of unopened boxes down there!!!!

we've got 8 moves worth of unopened boxes down there!!!!

My buddy would call that trash. My Mother would call it treasure.

I call it all...heavy. (Time for me to take another load over to the new house.) :blink:

btw, shorter, more frequent range trips are better than infrequent marathons. A lot can hapen to your self-image in 3-4 hours with a long gap in between them.

If you go once a week and have a bad day, you have 6 days to beat yourself up. if you go 3x a week for 45 minutes, you can focus on the next trip instead of dwelling on the negative.

Keep your drills simple and shoot 200 rds, then boogie. Repeat.

SA

That's also very heavily based on your temperment and a lot of times your skill. The better shooters get different feedback from a bad practice session than a lesser skilled shooter. Try both and see what works for you. Now a days I'd much rather go out in marathon sessions than short sprints.

Thanks Folks,

plenty of great advice so far. Just added BE book, Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals to my library. Still waiting an Steve Andersons's books to arrive, but have it on very good authority that it's on the way (apparently Australia is a way away) :D

Look forward to the Matt Burkett info, Shooter Grrl, if you find it.& still waiting for your website to come back up, Jake. Chop, chop.

Cheers.

Thanks Folks,

plenty of great advice so far. Just added BE book, Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals to my library. Still waiting an Steve Andersons's books to arrive, but have it on very good authority that it's on the way (apparently Australia is a way away) :D

Look forward to the Matt Burkett info, Shooter Grrl, if you find it.& still waiting for your website to come back up, Jake. Chop, chop.

Cheers.

Check this out http://www.doublealpha.biz/tip_burkett.htm...0fitness%20plan

Should be all you need for Matt's 10 week plan.