Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x23 in a 686

Carlos

Recently bought a used 686 and got a spare, unused cylinder from CDNN. I considered having it reamed to 9x23 after reading about such a conversion on http://www.pistolsmith.com onthe 9x23 forum. I think it was $60 from maybe Cylinder and slide?  I think moon clips might be faster to relaod than traditional setup. Wht did Micluk use in SA?

Anyway, would it be allowed as "Major"?? The rulebook states .357 Magnum is the minimum cartridge for Major - I assume to prevent people from overloading the .38 Special.  I believe the 9x23 is even shorter than the special, and it can certainly meet the major powerfactor with greater eas than say 9x19 (which will also work).  

Just thinking of having 2 guns to shoot same ammo - may open auto and a 686. Any thoughts?

The 14th edition states that 9mm is minimum for minor and there's no minimum cal. for major. This is IPSC.

I don't know about USPSA. But in IPSC it's no problem (but ask Vince to be sure :)).

Miculek used a 625 in .45ACP I think. The moonclips are a little faster and their biggest pro is you get all the brass out clean.

9x23 sounds cool, especially if you have a 9x23 open blaster. I shoot a 625 .45ACP and thought of shooting a .45 in limited for convenience in reloading.

But where can you get the proper moonclips for 9x23?

Carlos,

I don't have my rule book handy, but the 357MAG sounds right for Major in revolver.  That would leave the 9x23 out in that division.

(I think you could shoot it in Open though...sure would be cool to see somebody run one of those eight round revolvers in Super in Open division.)

As to no .38 super/9x23 in revolver, that is what I thought. Rulebook seems pretty clear ".357 Magnum for major".  I realize that .45 would be the way to go anyway - I understand that a moonclip of FMJ RNs practically jumps into the cylinder on its own. Will save that $60 for somethjing else and just shoot the 686 as is.

Banjo Bart - is that you? How's that Winchester leather jacket working out? Good to see you here & welcome. The Safariland belt and magholders went to a new shooter/old friend up in Maryland - thanks, he is putting them to good use!

I've run 25-2's, 625-2's, a 610 and various .38/.357 revos with full moon clips.  The .45 is by far the fastest on the reload of the bunch.  The .45 nose tips cannot be out of the openings for the chambers, while the other calibers can.  It is possible to rest a .357 between the chambers on the back of the cylinder.  (Haven't tried the 8-shot Super conversion, though.)

Were you feeling in a mischevious mood, you could order a bunch of 9x23 brass headstamped ".357 Magnum" and then defy an RO to declare it Minor.  Of course, when they finally did catch up to you, you'd have 50K of mis-marked 9x23 to use up. :o