Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem extracting with 5906

TLD

I thought it was the extractor so I filed it down until it has a very positive hold on the case such that it can't be shaken out. The extractor is in good shape, I installed it not many rounds ago. Still, from time to time (but less often than before) it leaves the case in the chamber and tries to feed a cartridge in, so it is recoiling all the way. The case is not stuck. It will usually fall out just by tipping the muzzle up.

I have

• polished the chamber and feed ramp.
  • made the extractor grip tighter.
  • I just got a new recoil spring and new mag springs (the others are of unknown age and use) but haven't tried yet
  • I have yet to have a problem with 147 grain full power loads or hot 124 grain.
  • I am aware of limp wristing, but don't think this is a primary cause

Any advise? I'd really like to shoot Winchester value pack, but they don't work well.

Edited by TLD

check your ejector... with the problem isolated to light loads that's the direction I am thinking... gun goes Bang brass comes back hits ejector, but now your extractor is tighter than normal so either due to damage to ejector or slide travel speed reduced by the lighter loads or heavy springs. Extractor hangs onto brass and sticks it back into the chamber... with the loads that do work How far away does the brass land on the ground when shooting standing should be 6 foot away.

check your ejector... with the problem isolated to light loads that's the direction I am thinking... gun goes Bang brass comes back hits ejector, but now your extractor is tighter than normal so either due to damage to ejector or slide travel speed reduced by the lighter loads or heavy springs. Extractor hangs onto brass and sticks it back into the chamber... with the loads that do work How far away does the brass land on the ground when shooting standing should be 6 foot away.

Thanks for the information. I didn't think to look at the ejector.

This problem has improved with the tighter extractor. I have not installed any of the new springs yet. The brass probably lands less than 6 feet away. Most of my other autos sling it.

Are you original owner ? That is a service pistol and may have been Xtra power springed, usually recoil but maybe mainspring, for a diet of +p or +p+ ammo. It could even have had one meant for a .40 installed. I would detail strip and clean everything, inspect ejector, install factory strength recoil and mainspring, look for anything that might be slowing down slide travel. Load up some standard power 9mm ammo and go from there. For a general shooting iron, 6 foot is a pretty good rule of thumb for balancing load and recoil spring/ ms .

Are you original owner ? That is a service pistol and may have been Xtra power springed, usually recoil but maybe mainspring, for a diet of +p or +p+ ammo. It could even have had one meant for a .40 installed. I would detail strip and clean everything, inspect ejector, install factory strength recoil and mainspring, look for anything that might be slowing down slide travel. Load up some standard power 9mm ammo and go from there. For a general shooting iron, 6 foot is a pretty good rule of thumb for balancing load and recoil spring/ ms .

I'm not the original owner. I think it's not a service pistol (like new in the original box with original receipt from a gun shop in Cincinnati). No PD stamps either, but no way to tell for sure.

I have a standard power recoil and mainspring to install. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks!

Edited by TLD

• 2 weeks later...

used to be an armorer years ago, and smith had a batch of bad barrels years ago that the chambers weren't quite round. the way to tell is, if you looked real carefully in the chamber and rotate the barrel, look for a dark in the chamber, if you see one there may be an indentation flaw in the chamber. which the expanded brass flows into as you fire and causes the case to stick. the worst ammo this would happen with was the winchester 115 ball. however I've never seen one that the brass would fall out with just tipping the barrel.

another thing I would do is replace the extractor, extractor spring and pin. it sounds like you found the fitting pad on the extractor. just file till it would hold a loaded round while rotating the slide.