C 12. In any single contest, a shooter must use the same pistol

in all stages of the contest. If the pistol he started with becomes

unserviceable during the contest, he may use another pistol of

the same type, action, and caliber. Such a shooter may resume

the contest at the next scheduled “start signal”, but previous

stages may not be re-shot. For example if a shooter starts with

a Glock 34 and the gun breaks, the shooter may finish with

another Glock 34, a Glock 17, a Glock 19 or a Glock 26. (All of

these are 9mm and of the same action and type.)

What does "type" mean? I assume type isn't brand, such that a Colt 1911 could be replaced by a Springfield 1911, or a CZ 75 could be replaced with a EAA Witness. What about replacing a steel gun, like a Sig P226ST or a CZ 75, with a smaller alloy-framed gun like a P228 or a CZ P-01? Could you replace a P226ST with a CZ 75?

Thanks.

Before the latest rule book came out, I interpreted "type" to mean any gun that was legal for the same division as the gun being replaced; I mean, isn't that what divisions are for, to separate the different "types" of guns? But, it now appears that you must replace a Glock with a Glock, a SIG with a SIG. I think any 1911 could replace another, but I don't know if you could replace a Beretta with a Taurus, even though they are functionally identical.

Action, caliber,, those we know...

"Type" A grouping based on shared characteristics; a class.

So I would say Berretta 92 to Taurus 92 clone or a Browning Hipower to a FEG PJK, would be ok Polymer Sig to Steel or Alloy Sig No go... Shared characteristics, Describing the two guns most would agree the frame material is a significant characteristic so Alloy polymer wouldnt be the same type.. That being said I think the hole thing would come down to Competitive advantage, An honest player who has a breakage and pulls out a backup for the remaining stages generally has a gun that is less competitive. If you start off on two hoser stages, stage three has very small target at long range, you say your 226 is broke and pull out a 226 X5 for stage three your probably gonna have some problems, If your 226 goes down and you pull out a 7+1 compact short gripped Kahr to finish the match most likely the MD isnt gonna have a problem with it.

Thanks guys. I asked the question when I took my safety officer training, and nobody had a official answer. I'm shooting the CA Cup with my CZ 75BD, and I was hoping I could use my P225 as an emergency replacement, but it sounds like I can't rely on that being OK. Thanks.

with the CZ75 you'd probably be ok with a Witness or Baby eagle as long as they were similar configuration, the Sig might be stretching it. But if that's all ya got go for it. If you do have a gun go down most likely your gonna have a really really bad stage knocking you out of serious contention so a MD probably wouldn't care.

Definate answer in IDPA ? t :lol: good one

I always took type to mean how the gun was fired, i.e. hammer vs striker, so any striker-fired 9MM SSP gun could be used as a replacement for any other striker-fired 9MM SSP gun. Now I'm not so sure, but now I use my G17 as a backup to my G34.

Bruce

Edited by bruce282

Webster "Type" A grouping based on shared characteristics; a class.

characteristics is plural

Course I could allways use my smart alleck answer... I carry a Para P-16 dont need a backup.

I read it that you can replace a single-action with a single-action, safe-action (Glock) with another safe-action, and a double-action with another double-action. The only one(s) that might require the same manufacturer and similar model are Glock and possibly Springfield XD.

I read it that you can replace a single-action with a single-action, safe-action (Glock) with another safe-action, and a double-action with another double-action. The only one(s) that might require the same manufacturer and similar model are Glock and possibly Springfield XD.

Richard, I like your and reading :D , except that it distinguishes action from type by mentioning "same type, action, and caliber." If it were up to me, I'd go with RickB's reading, although if they'd meant that, they'd probably have said "division" instead of "type." Is it possible to email questions to the powers-that-be?

Is it possible to email questions to the powers-that-be?

You can but they have a reputation of not replying. I would call them if you are all that worried about the issue and then verbally request the ruling in writing or an e-mail.

(870) 545-3886