Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W  k17

scottzerger

Try anything you can get your hands on, .22s are an oddity. When I worked in a gunshop, we found some target guns that would only shoot the really good stuff, like Eley. And we found some that would only shoot the cheap stuff. Every brand, lot, or loading seemed to have a great variety of dimensions. Buy a box of everything...besides you'll get lots of shooting in while trying to find the right one. :)

Quote: from scottzerger on 8:55 pm on Jan. 14, 2003

pat

Also. which of the above would be a better

bullseye gun? Does anyone Know?

thanks

I shot bullseye for 3 years with a model 17.  Some of my best scores were with that gun.  Having said that, the 41 is a lot easier to shoot well.  My club has 2 of them as loaners, they are both from the early 50's.  Very nice guns.

The gun had a wonderful SA trigger when I bought it.  I never did anything to it.  The DA trigger stunk though.

The best shooting I did was it was when it had the stock magna stocks and the stock S&W adjustable sights.  I was shooting it 3 days a week then.

I dropped a bunch of money on some Fung target grips on the gun.   They were very nice, though a bit heavy.  They didn't help my shooting much but by then I was only shooting 1 night a week so it is not much of a fair comparison.  Later on I mounted a dot but the gun weighed as much as a cinder block by then.  

So I shelved the dot and target stocks and went back to the factory configuration.  I don't shoot it much but may start again soon.

Ted

ted

I like that sa trigger pull also hate that da to. Like the

grips but that triggers to wide and i have small hands

so i may put a smooth narrow trigger on it . I shoot a

M15 S&W 38spl alot and had a smooth trig put on and

it made a big difference.

What brand of ammo did/do you use for your 17?

Quote: from scottzerger on 10:00 pm on Jan. 17, 2003

ted

What brand of ammo did/do you use for your 17?

My BE club provides the ammo as a fund raiser.  Most the time we use CCI standard velocity.  I like it pretty much.  The winchester std vel stuff was not very reliable.  Someone bought a 5k case of wolf 22, which dirtied the heck out of all the guns.  Fortunately, someone lost the case of ammo...

Ted