Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feed ramp profile

xdrocker

Is it possible to change the feed ramp profile. I recently had an open top end built for my S_I limited gun. When it runs it is a blast and more accurate than my limited top end. Problem: I can see a visible wear mark on the feed ramp from where the rounds hang up and then me slamming the slide home. I got out my stock limited barrel and there is a major difference in the profile. You can not only feel it, you can see it. Also, the polish job on my stock S_I barrel puts the aftermarket barrel to shame. On the stock barrel where the feed ramp meets the chamber it....... "curves" I guess would be the best word for it. On the open barrel (KKM) it has a more of a drop off angle to it. Could I send both barrels to a smith and have him change the open to my stock profile. I have tried pretty much everything else I can thing of, OAL, grams followers, stock followers. 5 different bullet types and profiles, 3 different recoil spring weights, and I don't even want to count how many different load configurations. 2000 rounds of open and I might just stick with Limited and L-10. It's fun as all get out when it FFEE's, but what a pain in the a**! I NEVER had failure to feed, unless I screwed up reloading, with my stock barrel.

Seems like most aftermarket barrels need some massaging to get them going, Look at your two barrels. Remember you can file or shape anything down, real hard to file something up. If the new barrel has more metal than old you should be ok. Was your topend built by someone who didnt have the lower ? I would imagine if you gave your builder your frame and explained your problem he should be able to get both topends running. Rereading your post is it possible your extractor is too tight ?

As far as the extractor, I took my extractor out of my limited top end and the same thing happened. I did take some emory cloth to the very front of the new extractor because I could see it hitting the brass as it started to feed. I am more inclined to think feed ramp profiling since I can see an obvious wear mark on it. Any other takers.

I just had (Nov 06) a new Schumann barrel installed in my Para. Got it back and nothing but trouble. I will admit to having used every word in my not limited vocabulary while clearing jambs and running through every magazine on my belt.

The gun ran OK with Zero heads, switched to MG and nothing but trouble, tried short, long, medium, switched recoil springs, changed mag springs and followers.

Finally, looked at teh original barrel and at the barrel in my back-up (Stock Limited Para) gun and decided that the Gunsmith's best friend was my answer. So I got out the Dremel and went to work.

I am the first to admit that this is not for the faint of heart. A $400 barrel job can be screwed up in 30 seconds or less, but since it wasn't working anyway...

So, after three sessions with the dremel, grinding and polishing, I seem to be back to what I started out with a reliable feeding pistola.

I still have an occasional problem, I think that the ramp profile I made allows the slided stop to bump up, so a littel additional detent work fixed that and my age old problem of large hands riding the slide will shortly be eliminated with a new swenson safety.

So, if you have a different profile and you are experiancing problems with feeding, then either a return to your smith, or a trip to a new one may be in order, or you can take dremel in hand and make the attempt, what is the worst that can happen? You will need a new barrel. Not cheap, but It was a learniong experiance for me. I am now one step more confident in my abilities to solve my own gun problems.

Do heed the advice given above, it is easier to file or dremel off than is tis to file or dremel metal back on. Measure 3x, cut 5x. Cutting once almost always results in cutting too much.

Jim

In all fairness to my smith, it wasn't his fault. I just had to give the rounds a little more juice to get a fully cycling slide. New to open and I guess I was trying to get the slow pulse of my limited gun. After giving him a call and running some test and getting a different load, ALL IS GOOD :D:D

First place I would look is barrel lugs, see where slide stop is hitting the lugs. Most likely it is too far forward. If you picture the center of the slide stop hole as the center of the clock. The slide stop should contact the lugs around the 4:30 to 5 o'clock. if it is hitting sooner it makes the whole reloading cycle hessitate when lugs, abruptly stop moving forward and try to go up. The barrel ramp angle is pretty fixed, moving the ramp forward changes the guns timing of round release from mag. linkup should be a very smooth process.

Getting the lug length for tight lockup, then selecting a link length, then fiiting the lug ramp contact angle are three steps I follow.