Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000 for 9mm minor

SLM

I ran across some old posts about Solo 1000 for minor 9mm. There wasn't much information in them though. I have been thinking about it for quite some time as a nice range round and wondered if anyone has start charges, OAL's, velocities, etc that they'd care to share with the group. :) Also thinking it may make for a nice minor load for production behind 124's or 147's.

edited for spelling

Edited by SLM

I won a few pounds of Solo 1000 and had them sitting on the shelf for a few years. When my son started shooting I developed a minor load using 115's and Solo 1000. It was very clean and very soft. Because Solo 1000 is fast, it cycled the gun pretty well despite being a minor load.

I will look for my data this evening.

-124 grn Frontier "TMJ" (like the Gold Dot or speer Lawman/Blazer bullet) NOTE: these may have had either the swaged or the hardcast cores - I do not recall.

4.1 grains Solo 1000

1.140" OAL

Federal small pistol primer, mixed cases

Gun: CZ SP-01 Chrono Pact Mk IV

Avg. velocity: 1014 FPS: PF 125.7 (might want to up the charge a little!).

No pressure signs, very clean, very soft.

147 grn WestCoast TMJ RN (these had swaged cores)

3.1 grns Solo 1000

1.150" OAL

Same gun, chrono, day

Avg. 830 FPS; SD 16 PF 122.0 (does not make it - try again).

NOTE: I have since upped the charge SLIGHTLY with the 147 grn Zero JHP and have not noticed pressure signs but I have not chronoed these yet).

124 gr molly-coated bullets

4.2 gr S1000

Gets right around 1030fps - this will vary with gun and bullet. Start at about 4gr and work your way up. You many need a little more depending on bullet and OAL.

S1000 is a great powder for 9mm, 38spc, 45ACP. It's clean burning and shoots soft.

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it. Solo 1000 is my favorite powder for .45acp range ammo. Very clean, consistent, and makes nice little groups if I do my part. I'm looking forward to working up some rounds to see what I get. Currently I don't have my own crono so that hurts a bit but going by what's been said here, I think I'll start at 3.2 and work up to 3.6 watching for pressure signs. These will be 147 Precision Delta's fired from my CZ-85.

I'm currently using Solo 1000, here's the load I use with my G34 in production class:

124gr Accurabullet

3.8 gr Solo 1000

OAL 1.145

Makes about 135 PF outa my G34 and I think it shoots softer than the 147gr in my G34.

Edited by glock_556